1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any way to sex Moscovy ducklings?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RAREROO, Oct 10, 2009.

1. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    That's basicly my question. I'm wanting to get a few moscovy ducklings and we're going to a local livestock sale in the morning and I may get a few if anyone has any blue pied or choc. pied ones.

2. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Sorry, looks like nobody replied in time.
    The males are noticeably bigger than
    the females and have heavier curuncling on their heads.
    Same with young ones.
    Look for bigger beaks and feet and body size.
    So did you get any?

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Hope I didn't get any this time. There was a man that had some adult blue pied ones but I didn't get any of those. I have saw him have ducklings before so maybe later.

I did get a young pair of white Silkies though, For $7 [​IMG] I'm trying to start a little broody flock of them I already had a buff silkie cross hen, (she's a good broody), a young black pair and now a white pair. I will probably sell the black roo and keep the white roo with the three hens.

And OMG I wish I had more money and patience with me because in the Auction section their was a pair of Mille Fluer Cochins and another Mille Cochin roo with a buff hen.

And their was also OE Game bantams in Spangled, Mille fluer, Splash Wheaton, and another beautiful roo that looked blue Spangled. But I didn't have any exstra money and the auction didn't start for another several hours before we left. [​IMG]

But thanks anyway for those differences between the sexes of the ducklings, maybe I'll have better luck next time.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  4. sarahmr22

sarahmr22 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2015
    [​IMG]I have 4 moscovy ducklings and I'm trying to find out the sexes....any input? One is much lighter and a little smaller and has a pink beak but all their legs are the same width.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by