Any way to sex week old RIR? [ *** --- now with pics --- *** ]

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JLMom, May 9, 2009.

1. JLMom

JLMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Can someone help me? My husband came home with 4 chicks from the feed store that the owner bred himself. Man says they are pullets, but wasn't very convincing, says my husband. I really don't want to wait 2 or 3 months to find out. My son is in love with the chicks already. (He wants to hold them all the time). Any ideas? These are my first chicks, and I can't believe how cute they are!

[​IMG], [​IMG]

[​IMG], [​IMG]

[​IMG], [​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It usually takes me two weeks to tell a RIR or a leghorn roo. post a pic in a couple of weeks.

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Do you have pics??

4. JLMom

May 3, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I will be posting pics in the a.m. I am going to bed now. After breakfast in bed (not my favorite part of mothers day, but my children love to make it for me) I will get some photos up.

Thanks!
    Jamelle

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I could tell mine apart at that age. The cockerels didn't have any tail feathers yet. Pix on my BYC page.

6. JLMom

May 3, 2009
    Massachusetts
    c

7. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree w/ Tala, the girls get their "braids" or their tail feathers before the boys grow theirs out and then the boys will have a larger comb but you'll have to remember this is not a "for sure" thing, just a "mostly" thing;) Just enjoy them for now, all babies need love, its an essential for life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by