1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any way to tell chick gender?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ant888, Mar 27, 2016.

1. ant888

ant888 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2016
    I have 1 week old chicks and would like to tell what gender they are. I think it said "straight run'. Does that mean a mix of both? There are 6 chicks.

2. gemtruker

gemtruker Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2016
    yes, straight run means they put whatever they could put in the box to fill the order. They didn't sex the chicks so unless you can find someone to sex them for you, until they grow up, not a clue on what you have.

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    straight run Does NOT mean you will have 50% male and 50% female. Most people get confused at that. it does NOT mean there will be a balance at all. Straight Run is "As hatched" meaning it can be ANY combination at all or you could get super lucky and by chance get all female or unlucky and get all male or any possible combination in between. most folks think it's half and half but in reality it almost NEVER works out that way. it's whatever combo is grabbed at hatch of NOT SEXED chicks. so it's absolutely impossible to know or even begin to guess what you will get. it will be any given combination or could even be all one or the other sex. it's more likely some kind of combinations. Hope this helps.

4. ant888

Mar 25, 2016
    I heard that you can tell by how the growing feathers look. Is this true?

5. ant888

Mar 25, 2016
    Does anyone know if baby chicks that are hens grow their tail faster then roosters?

6. gemtruker

gemtruker Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2016
    i look at the combs when they get about a month old. normally, larger comb compared to the others, rooster. one of my friends checks for pimple on leg for spur. so far, they all have them, so not accurate.

7. ant888

Mar 25, 2016
    Do the wing feathers matter?

8. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    The wing feather development in the first week may indicate male or female. But yours may be already too old for this.

Try examining and comparing wing stubs. The girls may have longer, uneven and staggered feather growth. The boys may be only getting started, and the feather growth will be much shorter, but even, not staggered like the girls.

Yes, for the same reason girls get their wings quicker, so do their tail feathers come in a bit sooner. But by two weeks, all have pretty much arrived at the same growth stage, and it's difficult to find much difference.

9. ant888

Mar 25, 2016
    Does anyone think my chicks are hens if they have overlapping wings? Something like this: Small uneven wing feathers under large uneven wings on the top? If no one understands, I'll link the picture.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  10. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    If these chicks are less than a week, probably they are pullets. Over a week, and this isn't a useful method of trying to discern sex.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by