Any way to tell when my Hens will start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MysteryChik, Jul 6, 2016.

1. MysteryChik

MysteryChik Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello all, we bought 3 barred rock hens and one rooster that turned 20 weeks on Saturday. Is there anyway to tell when they will start laying? Or a way to tell they are close to laying? thanks in advance

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Their combs will go from pale,to red.They will squat for the rooster.If they squat,they should lay in either less then a week,or within a week.

Their comb may also grow.Lot's of hens have large,red combs....

3. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    Also,check their vents.they wil lturn somewhat reddish,and should be nice and stretched out(So large.)

4. MysteryChik

Their combs are very red, but have been for some time. The rooster was trying last night with one of them, but she wasn't having it.. running away as fast as she could[​IMG]

5. MysteryChik

Hmm I'll have to take a look at that

6. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    The hens could ahve been laying,but when chickens are moved around, changes etc,it can cause them to stress out and not lay.....

7. MysteryChik

they weren't laying yet when we got them.. which was probably about a month ago. One Hen's comb is a lot redder than the other two. I looked at all of their vents. The one with the redder comb is definitely moister than the other two but none of them look big or stretched out.. or reddish looking. (But on the other hand, we also looked at my Granny hen, which is the only one of laying age, and hers was the same color as theirs)

8. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

You will have an egg soon....I have never looked at vents, but yes, it sounds like soon.
    Congrats.

9. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    Vents are never a reasuring way.

But my hens vents got red as they started laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by