Any way to train my girls to eat slugs again?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bikemandan, Dec 26, 2010.

1. bikemandan

bikemandan Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2010
    Oakland, CA
    I have two hens, a plymouth rock and rhode island red, about 4 months old. A month ago, they loved slugs, would gobble them down. But then, one time, a small one I fed them must have tasted bad because she spit it out and now refuses ALL slugs I give them!
    Is there any way to train them to return to their slug loving selves?

2. Rivers

Rivers Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2010
    They all learned from the one bird tasting a bad slug?

Maybe you could put slugs in their feed, or basically mix them with something that they DO like. They might nibbly one by accident that way, if they still have a taste for them im sure they will carry on eating.

3. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    Maybe they need salt! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  4. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I've never been able to get mine interested. I kind of thought it was because the slugs were so slow moving, the chickens didn't notice them...

5. I had one hen that choked on one last fall. I mean really CHOKED on one. She turned blue and all. I was able to massage it down her and get her color back, but ever since then she wont touch them and actually avoids them. just find 'em somthing else to eat. [​IMG]

6. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    Where the heck do you get so many slugs from? I rarely see them here...

7. We had TONS of them this year on NE OHio. the rain and stuff.

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

This won't win any praise from slug lovers, but a video was posted on the Washington thread of a woman who taught her chickens to eat slugs by cutting them up with a pair of scissors.

Imp- slug nuggets yum

9. bikemandan

bikemandan Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2010
    Oakland, CA
    I unfortunately collect about 20 of them a night, the little bastards love our yard

I saw that video and have tried cutting them into small pieces but I get the same stinkeye from the birds. I mixed some in with their food today to see what would happen....not sure if they went for them though.
    I just hate to see a possible food source go to waste

10. pack them up and sen 'em my way! my girls would love you this time of year! what can i send you back for them? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by