Any way we can get the exchequer leghorn into the APA?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dominique man, Jul 30, 2014.

1. dominique man

dominique man In the Brooder

Jul 11, 2014
    Findlay Ohio
    My day has just been ruined, I've just found out that the exchequer leghorn chick that I paid a good premium for won't be able to compete in a show. Is there any way to get the APA to try harder to get this leghorn into the APA? Could I get involved in getting this leghorn type recognized?

2. It takes years of dedicated breeders showing a variety of a breed to get them accepted. Did you tell the breeder that you planned to show the chicken before you bought her?

3. dominique man

Jul 11, 2014
    Findlay Ohio
    I got it from a hatchery.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    99.9% of the time hatchery birds are not appropriate for showing. Hatcheries breed for production and volume, not to the standard or for quality.

1 person likes this.

5. dominique man

Jul 11, 2014
    Findlay Ohio
    That's not good...

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 - if one is serious about wanting to show birds you are best served by locating a good private breeder to purchase show stock from. You also want to let this person know that your intention is to show - breeders will often sell their "non-show quality" birds to backyard keepers, etc and you don't want to end up with another bird that isn't suitable for show.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by