Any weather spotters (watchers) on here?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Hoosiermomma, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Just wondering how many others share my love for weather watching? My son and I are going to take some classes in the spring to become official weather spotters in our area. Does anyone else do this or actually storm chase? We find it very fascinating. [​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Being a farmer I'm constantly watching the weather.

3. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Quote:Do you go by the Farmer's Almanac at all? I know quite a few that use it constantly. LOL A friend of mine can tell you what type of weather we are going to have just by being outside and smelling it. I don't know how she does it but she has yet to be wrong. [​IMG]

4. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    My daughter and I took the storm spotter class from the National Weather Service. I have always been interested in weather and since we work at a radio station and have to cover during severe weather we decided to take it. It was very interesting and I would recommend it to anyone!

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Do you go by the Farmer's Almanac at all? I know quite a few that use it constantly. LOL A friend of mine can tell you what type of weather we are going to have just by being outside and smelling it. I don't know how she does it but she has yet to be wrong. [​IMG]

I usually buy one and compare what it says with what ends up happening.....sometimes it's right, sometimes it's not.

I figured we'd have early cold weather this fall because the birds were flocking up already the end of July which they normally don't do until a month or 6 weeks later and we've had one of the coldest octobers since they started keeping records back in the 1880s.

6. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    I'm fascinated by the colors of the radar, on the computer....Does that count?[​IMG]

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:[​IMG] my hubby and I are spotters. I do more than he does, but I do send his butt outside if its hailing! [​IMG]

8. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    I watch my animals for a change in the weather.

9. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I've been a member of SkyWarn for two years. I love it! [​IMG]

I don't chase (I don't have a good chase vehicle), so I spot from home/work and report wind speed/damage/hail size or whatnot to the National Weather Service. It's fun and it's a good way to serve the community since spotters help the NWS keep people safe.

10. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I've often wished I would have become a weather forecaster. It's one of the few professions where you can be consistantly wrong and keep your job.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by