Any wild bird landlords here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by joerogrz, Nov 19, 2008.

1. joerogrz

joerogrz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Loretto, TN
    Or birdhouse builders? I started doing this early this year and had several bird boxes made up for a few different species of birds. Made up two for Eastern Bluebirds, 2 for Carolina Wrens, 1 for Chickadees or Titmice, and another for either Screech Owls or Wood Ducks (Depends on how high you put it)...

Here's a pic of one of my Bluebird houses. It's made of E.Red Cedar.
    [​IMG]

The tenants' kids.
    [​IMG]

The kids not long after hatching. Not as cute as a baby chicken.
    [​IMG]

Here they are about a week later.
    [​IMG]

And once again, right before they were able to fly. Yeah the poo is nasty...
    [​IMG]

These birds came along in Spring and they survived a few pretty harsh storms. Up until I took the last pic, I thought there were only 5 in the nest, but if you look close enough in the last pic you can see 6.

Before anyone asks about me opening up the house, I made it so that it hinges on the front piece. Yes you can take a look at the birds when they're that young. It just makes the parents a little nervous and I had Ma and Pa Bluebird dive-bombing me while I was taking pics of their babies.

I was really hoping to attract some Purple Martins here, but from what I've been reading it may be a big pain to do that.

2. chicks rule

chicks rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    SW MO
    Very cool, I have a wren that likes to build in a hanging basket I keep on my porch, two years in a row now, before that she built on top on my porch light, LOL.

3. Queen Scoot

Queen Scoot Crochet Chieftess

May 27, 2008
    HOOKERVILLE!!!
    we have feeders all along our property.they stay filled year yournd. love watching the birds!!!

4. joerogrz

joerogrz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Loretto, TN
    We had a pair of Wrens that were building on our porch also. They would find little nooks to build in. Also shoes. They have a tendency to keep building nests for some reason. Even when they already have one.

Here is a Wren box that I built out of Black Walnut and the front is Red Oak I believe. Coated with a little boiled linseed oil on the outside to preserve it better.
    [​IMG]

This particular box was going at the end of the driveway to keep some Wrens from building in the mailbox. I liked it so much I wanted to put it closer to the house though. My Chickadee/Titmouse box is built the same way with the tree bark on the front.

5. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    We feed a small army in the winter. Carolina chickadees, Tufted Titmouse, cardinals, nuthatches and more.

Feed is so cheep, for the cheeps..... [​IMG]

Cheri

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I am a bird landlord. There is a "knot" in one of our Maples and the woodpeckers live there. (one of this spring's babies)
    [​IMG]

I also have finches in the front yard (they nest in a hanging candle holder of all things! LOL) and sparrows rule the back yard.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  7. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    I hae lots of small garden birds liing in my area, and I have feeders hanging all around the garden, this year for the second year I hae a greater spotted woodpecker visiting, and I hae just built a new Bird table.

My blackbird family come down regularly and seem to be having a chat with the chickens.

It is lovely to watch them, and cost very little to make sure they make it through winter.

Now I will have a go at building some nest boxes too, loads of trees and hedgerows to put them.

Thanks for the pics. They are excellent.

Jena.

8. bantamfan

bantamfan Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2008
    I'm an avid birder, past president of the White Mountain Audubon Society, and have been a birder almost all my life, thanks to a wonderful mother.
    I currently have a breeding box trail for Mountain and Western Bluebirds in Arizona, and in New Mexico. We have a cabin just across the border into New Mexico from Alpine, AZ. My boxes are monitored several times a year and are all on USFS property with their permission. I've been doing this for 25 years now, and just love doing it.
    Bantams rule! ha ha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by