Anybody breed Egytian Fayoumis?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Tracydr, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

I have some Fayoumis that I got with an order of chicks from a hatchery. They're about three weeks and a half weeks old and so cute! This is such a different breed from anything else I've ever raised, it almost reminds me of when I've raised exotic game birds.
    I think I have one roosters even though I ordered all Pullets. Although I'm heavy on roosters, I'm ok with this, since I'm finding this to be a fascinating breed, full of history and character.
    Just wondering, how well or poorly do they lay? How much do they fly?wondering if I'll need to clip their wings to keep them inside my seven foot walls.
    I've heard so little about this breed other than what I found on Wikipedia. How uncommon is it?

2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I too have a Fayoumi. Mine's a rooster and he is beatiful. He was given to me by my BIL because he couldn't find any hens to go with him. I have since found a breeder about 30 miles from me who has some beautiful hens and roosters and he has supplied me with some hatching eggs once, but alas, the incubator died during the incubation and killed them all. I haven't had a chance to get back for more.

As to how my rooster is, he is friendly enough. Definitely not flighty, and while my run is covered, he has never tried finding a way out. Beautiful crow and very stately looking. Good with all my hens except my andalusian. I think he believes her to be a rooster because of the size of her comb... definitely a striking breed! [​IMG]

3. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like I may have a rooster, even though I ordered four Pullets. If I continue to like them, I'll probably separate off a trio and try incubating some eggs next spring. They are such fascinating birds and the heat really doesn't seem to phase them. Wish I knew what their eggs and laying habits were like.
    I hope they aren't too bad of escape artists because it's going to be impossible to completely cover my run, due to the huge trees inside it. Hopefully, they'll appreciate the nice trees and good food and know that grass is greener on their side of the fence!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  4. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    I have 2 only a few months old... Love the breed... and slowly learning more. I had to clip one wing because they were flying on top of the coop. Mine are named Cleo and Patra [​IMG]

5. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Here's a pic of my boy, Pharoah:

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by