Anybody breeding black wyandottes? Or Black Orps?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by yotetrapper, Apr 7, 2009.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I would like to get some good quality ones.

We are going to be strict on the format of the threads. The subject line should be brief and to the point. For example
    Wanted-Oregon-Muscovy Ducks
    or
    For Sale-Oregon-Muscovy Ducks-Pick up only
    or
    Trade-Oregon-Muscovy Ducks for Goose Eggs
    Threads not following this format may be subject to removal. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2009
  2. chickenlove2009

chickenlove2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Woodlawn, Tn
    what the heck is a black waynotte. if you don't mind me asking.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Black Wyndottes are black, no whites on them. Just paint those Silver Laced Wyndottes black, then you have Black Wyndottes! [​IMG]

4. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Yep just a wyandotte that is solid black, preferably homozygous <sp?>. I'm looking for one for a breeding project but beginning to think I may have to buy <shudder> hatchery stock just to get one.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I'd like some black wyandottes too if you find anybody who has them. Late last fall I hatched a black roo and black pullet out of my blues so I was excited about that. But I'd still like to find some really nice ones.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  6. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    LOL yeah, but the problem with one out of the blues is that even the black looking ones could be carrying a blue gene, and it would take at least two generations to find that out. Hate to be halfway into a breeding project and have a blue chicken pop out LOL.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I realize that, but they're better than what I had before which was none [​IMG] At this point in time I plan on putting him with some Splash wyandotte pullets that I've hatched out this spring and my one splash hen when he's old enough.

8. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I have some decent black orps--rooster is black, one of the hens is black, the other is splash...could get black, blue or splash eggs out of them...the hens will be separated this weekend from the rest of the other breeds (they have been in with the black orp roo for a few weeks and fertility is awesome). Wanna trade me some BLRW for some? [​IMG]

9. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:If you breed black to black, even if they came from blue parents, you would never get blue. Black to black will never give you anything but black.

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:If you breed black to black, even if they came from blue parents, you would never get blue. Black to black will never give you anything but black.

Genetics dummy here....but if one of the black to black offspring is bred back to a blue...then you could get a blue right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by