1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anybody care to guess on the breed??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NewfieMom, Aug 29, 2013.

1. NewfieMom

NewfieMom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2013
    Beautiful East Texas
    My son's class hatched these April 2013 and we brought them home. Anybody know what breed they are?? I've been thinking Buff Orpington and Welsummer. But I make no claims as to knowing anything about chickens. [​IMG]But we are learning fast! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's hard to get a pic of these yellow boys that isn't blurry! They just won't be still!! Constantly struttin' their stuff!

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree, you have Buff Orpingtons and Welsummers, or Welsummer crosses.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You appear to have three Buff Orpingtons, and two Welsummers/Welsummer mixes. Both Welsummers are roosters, and one of the Buff Orpingtons is a rooster for sure, too. I can't exactly tell the gender of the other two Buff Orpingtons from the photos you provided, but they look like hens.

4. NewfieMom

Aug 29, 2013
    Beautiful East Texas
    I think all 5 in the top picture are roosters. They sure act like it. The hens/pullets (not pictured) barely have a comb and they haven't turned red yet. They are just over 4 months old.
    Thanks for they input! :)

5. NewfieMom

Aug 29, 2013
    Beautiful East Texas
    I wasn't sure about the sex on two of those buff's for a long time because their tails don't stand out. They just kind of round off at their butts. So confusing. :(

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by