Anybody clean their eggs this way?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marybogue, Aug 7, 2010.

1. marybogue

marybogue Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2010
  2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    We don't worry about all that as we don't eat the shell. [​IMG]

If the egg has poop on it we wipe it off, if not, it stays as is.
  3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I"ve never heard of that before. [​IMG] I only wash them if they are dirty. Most of my hens eggs are very clean, with the occasional mishap. Now my ducks eggs, that's a different story! Them, I would always wash before using! [​IMG]
  4. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    I wouldn't clean an egg that way. An egg has a natural bloom on it that protects the egg from any contaminants that are on the shell. Brush them off and wash it just before in cool water, and a brush like a nail brush. If you soak it like the egg shell is porous, and would soak up the contaminates.
  5. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

Ditto to what justbugged said. [​IMG]
  6. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I have not heard of this before, but i think it's a sort of silly idea - no offense to Dr. Pepi. Until you crack your egg open, the bloom (if we're talking about fresh eggs, and not store bought) is keeping the germs from entering the actual egg. If you simply wash it right before you crack it open, i think you're doing more than enough to keep you and your family more than safe.

The theory i've read, by the way, about what temperature of water to use to wash your eggs - is that water colder than the egg will cause it to contract and thus draw germs in with it; using water warmer than the egg will cause the egg to expand, pushing germs out, away from the egg. I'm not sure if it matters that much, to be honest, but that's the theory.
  7. Taylor

Taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    we just wash ours with a wet paper towel, learned that from the chicken whisperer. [​IMG]
  8. Tropical Chook

Tropical Chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Unless the eggs are really mucky, which sometimes happens after heavy rains, we never wash them. When we do clean the dirty ones, it's a quick wipe and a dry, and into the fridge they go. Sure I'm quite new to all this, but with having only eaten our own home grown eggs for the past three months, none of us have had any problems at all so I can't imagine why eggs would need to be cleaned. Besides, a little bit of dirt here and there will be good for your immune system [​IMG]

As my Dad always used to say, "what doesn't kill, fattens" [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by