Anybody clip wings?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CrazyCatLady76, Aug 16, 2011.

1. CrazyCatLady76

CrazyCatLady76 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    Hazard
    I went out to tuck my girls in and one of them has decided instead to roost in the apple tree next to the coop--about 20 feet off the ground. We have a ladder that tall, but it's not really safe to try and use it on a 60 degree slope in the pitch black dark. Much as I hate to do it, I have to leave her up there tonight and hope nothing happens to her.

I guess the only way to stop this happening again is to start clipping some wings, but I'm not really sure how to go about it. Does anybody have instructions, tips, other solutions?

Thanks!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Cut them like this:
    [​IMG]

3. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Hold the bird still, spread a wing and clip the wing feathers. Be careful not to cut too close to the skin. Clipping one wing will prevent her from flying but the asymmetry can cause other problems. So, I'd clip both. I'm sorry you have to do this, but it's for her safety. Bok.

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Please watch out for "blood feathers". If you cut one, you're bird can bleed to death very quickly. If you do happen to cut one, pluck the entire feather asap to prevent exsanguination. Be careful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by