Anybody eats Silkies?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by pascopol, Nov 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    I am getting the itch of raising some Silkies, my concern is the extra roosters, what to do with them.

Generally I eat my extra roos, but Silkie skin is dark, how is the meat? Does the color or taste of Silkie meat bother you? (For consumption purposes)

Or it is just like any other chicken tastewise?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Tastes like chicken, looks strange. Some Eastern cultures prize the meat.

3. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

[​IMG] Silkies generally don't have much meat on them.

4. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    The Asian communtities in my area will buy all the Silkies they can get their hands on. It is prized for its "black skin"

5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:the few times I have been around folks who cook them they do not eat them just eat the broth for medicinal purposes

6. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Asian communities will also eat all dogs and cats they can get their hands on, besides bats ants and roaches to name few species they consume.

But I am not Asian, that's why I wonder if Silkie meat will be palatable to me.

Not cause they have lots of meat or I want to eat Silkies, but what to do with ALL EXTRA ROOSTERS....

That's the problem.

7. JenEric Farms

JenEric Farms GOOGLE GENIUS

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    PurpleChicken eats them. He's posted about it. Said it was good.

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It should be as palatable to you as any backyard chicken -- which will be a little different from store bought. If you make broth, I'll bet you will be surprised how good it is.

9. Nekhebet

Nekhebet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    Quote:Asian communities will also eat all dogs and cats they can get their hands on, besides bats ants and roaches to name few species they consume.

But I am not Asian, that's why I wonder if Silkie meat will be palatable to me.

I am vaguely offended by this.

I spoke to my husband about eating silkie meat, and he gags every time he thinks about it....handy when he gets on my nerves.

10. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

saw andrew zimmern eat black chicken on that show on the travel channel-Bizare foods... even ate the parts of the rooster that *ahem* make it a rooster...course he does that with everything

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by