1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anybody else crazy about planting flowers and gardens ???

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by mmtillman, Feb 27, 2009.

1. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a bad case of Spring Fever here [​IMG]
    They are even talkin snow for tonight ?? [​IMG] NOT again??!!!!!!! [​IMG]

So I was just wondering if anyone else is stockin up on those little packets of flower seeds at W. Mart, or Lowes?? Or the bulbs??

I swear I wont buy anymore.....but then, as soon as I see one of those colorful displays, I am drawn to them like I am to baby chicks....[​IMG]....so why fight it ?? Right?? [​IMG]

So far...I have gotten : Zinnias, Bluebonnets, Blue Flax, Blue Morning Glory....( can you tell I want a blue flower bed this year?? ) [​IMG]

I just thought I might start a thread about flower seeds and compare notes? To help get us thru the last weeks of winter??

Have a good weekend everyone !!! [​IMG]

2. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    Hey, I live in sunny California and it is really still too early to plant. I have tied a rope around my hands in order to stop myself from planting tomatoe seeds [​IMG]
    If we weren't so busy "preparing" the garden for the early planting, we'd be going broke buying seeds and plants. And they keep sending those pretty catalogs. So hard to resist.
    Thank goodness for those weeds that need pulling....[​IMG]

3. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    i love planting, i find it rewarding .

my goal one day is to have a rose garden [​IMG]

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

You might try the gardening sister site link at the bottom of your page? Lots of folks over there with spring fever! [​IMG]

5. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I took my Dahlias out of storage and went through picking out any that didn't survive being stored.

I have a couple new varieties from Walmart and a order of dish plate dahlias from directgardening.com.

I also bought some calla lillies and a couple replacement day lilies. Now it just needs to warm up a little more.

Matt

6. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Can I suggest www.TheEasyGarden.com BYC's sister site?! I'm well addicted over there these days.... I'm very OBSESSIVELY getting ready for spring here. They just make it worse over there....

Here's the site for all my seedling going in the house, including lotus plants for our pond. Of course our veggi garden is started on their too.
    http://fromseed.blogspot.com

Here's our veggie garden...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We just ordered trees to start our orchard... apple and apricots!!!

I have spring fever on a whole blank slate of an acre we have! LOL:weee

7. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    We are garden crazy at our house... plant a huge fat garden... I CAN WAIT! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. sandyj

sandyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    St.Paul, Minnesota
    I love gardening and can't wait either. It will still be a few months before we can even move the dirt around. Those pics of vfem's garden boxes made me want to go rolling around in the dirt. Dirt, fresh nice smelling dirt!!! lol!!!

9. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Why is it most folks make their kids stay out of the dirt, but dirt is one of the cleanest smelling things in the world LOL?!! My 3 year old and I planted our onions a few days ago and she looked like Pigpen when we came in the house, that child LOVES dirt. I also have an apple tree, 3 blueberries, 4 grape vines, a fig, and 4 blackberry bushes sitting on the porch waiting for planting. I acquired a day old bottle baby lamb today and she has been the forefront of most of my time this afternoon.

10. luvarabhorses

luvarabhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Hector, Ar
    I got my peas, spinach and lettuce in. I am going to live large in the garden world this year!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by