Anybody else experience this?? 9 month BR, hasn't laid.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Morgan7782, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I am quite aware chickens will lay when chickens lay. I am just curious if anybody else has ever experienced this.

I have a 9 month old Barred Rock definate pullet, no eggs. No squatting, nada sign. I also have a 9 month old EE pullet, no eggs, but I expected her to lay really late. But has anybody else ever had a Plymouth Rock go so long without beginning to lay...?? Share your experience!!

Here are some pictures of Joon, the BR. She is quite healthy like her flockmates, robust, and very active and talkative! But I am wondering if her egg machine is broken lol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  2. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Thats interesting. What is your climate like? She may wait until Spring......

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Sacramento is about low down to 40's right now, highs in 50-55 range. A little rain, some wind, today should be partly sunny though. It's not especially cold, and my Wyandotte started laying eggs about a week ago.

I wonder if Joon is confused on her gender lol! I hae had Rocks in the past, and they were all early layers even during a snowstorm. Not this girl lol, she is going against the grain. So I take it you haven't experienced such a long wait? Joon was hatched March 29th or 30th 2010.

I am getting a new 8x6 coop, and Joon will be going from a 2 hen house to a BIG coop in a few days and I have been telling this to all the girls pretty constantly. Maybe she is holding out for the new digs? I have not seen any health issues, she is a great girl, very sweet and she is my head hen, but I was expecting eggs in October at the latest lol! So much for that [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  4. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    Ohhh! Those late blooming pullets! I have Olive eggers, Easter eggers, Ameraucaunas, Sexlinks all between the ages of 9 to 10 months... no eggs yet from any of these ladies! I think they are all waiting for Spring... And that would make some of these girls almost a year old before they lay! Wow!! You're not alone in your frustration... [​IMG]

5. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Rebel that makes me feel much better!!! I know EE's can wait to lay even up to 40-44 weeks old, assuming the same with Olive Eggers. But the Sexlinks?? Those are up there with the barred rocks! That comforts me right there lol. Thanks for the info all! [​IMG] She will probably wait for spring, which is fine with me but she better plan on laying through the next year or two to make up for lost time hehee

6. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG]

I have a BR that was laying pretty steady and when winter hit she quit...nothing..zip...nada since Mid October. She was hatched in March of this season so it's not been long enough for a molt. My aunt who has had BR's before said that sometimes they can be as picky as EE's about laying. I had read that they were good winter layers but not "Patches" (kids named her)...She's a fair weather bird. LOL Hope your eggs start soon...I'm lucky enough to have some other breeds who are making up for the free loader! [​IMG]

7. cressrb

cressrb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2010
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I am new to all this and just got our small coop and three hens last month. I have a Barred Rock, a Delaware and a Welsummer, all 9 months old.
    We started them on layer pellets and I read on this list to add cayenne or chili peppers to the feed in the winter, which I did. It is cold here in
    Utah right now. It must be only beginners luck, but from the first day we have been getting eggs from all of them. I love the BR because she is
    so tame, the Delaware because she is so beautiful and her egg is so huge and the Welsummer is more reserved but gives such a gorgeous
    brown speckled egg!
    Bonnie
    Salt Lake City, Utah

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by