Anybody else get a green Egg from a white Jersey Giant???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LynninOK, Oct 10, 2011.

1. LynninOK

LynninOK Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    Claremore, Oklahoma
    I have a beautiful white pullet that came from Ideal that is an unidentified breed. I had researched and decided she was a White Jersey Giant. When she was small, she was almost black and gradually turned to white as she grew. She is quite large and has greenish (willow?) colored legs. This afternoon, I found a lovely olive colored egg and thought that she had to have laid it because none of my other pullets have green legs. Does anybody else have White Jersey Giants that lay green eggs? From my readings I had expected a brown egg. I just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience... (She is the chunky one in the middle.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cassidy22

cassidy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Front Range - Colorado
    Could still be an araucana or americana, my neighbor has white ones. I didn't realize Jersey whites were black when they were pullets? I suspect an americana mix of some sort.

3. LynninOK

May 3, 2011
    Claremore, Oklahoma
    Is it fairly common, then, to have a dark chicks that turns to white the was the Jerseys do? I really thought I was onto something...

4. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:I need to see ALL of your hens... why? because egg color is not linked to shank color... but to the Pea comb gene, so if you have another hen that is laying eggs at the moment and she has a pea comb(looks different than normal combed hens) she is the one laying green eggs, now if you DON'T, that means that gene cross over has happen on your hen and the gene responsable for the blue/green egg crossed over to the single comb, what are the chances of that? about 4% ....so check to see if you have other hens laying with pea combs..

5. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:its not that comon, I believe she could be recessive white instead of dominant white, which are born yellow and have white feathers as soon as they show any feathers..

6. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    She looks ameracuana or EE. Look at the greenish legs. Gloria Jean

7. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:now that I take a closer look to her comb, I don't see one.. which pea comb hens have very small combs also...unless she can provide more pics of her com we can't be sure..

edit. NOT all EE lay green/blue eggs..

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  8. LynninOK

May 3, 2011
    Claremore, Oklahoma
    I'll try to find a better picture of her comb. Many of the descriptions I have read about the WJG refer to their striking "willow" colored legs, which she has. Her comb is very small, but looks like a pea comb. Like a very small ridge, maybe? It is slightly bigger now than when I took this picture.

9. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    I'm just going to guess she's an EE-- a JG should have wattles.

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    That's an Easter Egger.

Jersey Giants have wattles, single combs, and yellow legs.

Ameraucanas have beard/muffs and slate blue legs.

Araucanas don't have tails, and have rounder heads.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by