1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anybody else have eggs set 6/14 due 7/5?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by VioletBlueIvy, Jun 23, 2011.

1. VioletBlueIvy

VioletBlueIvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    I have set 6 pretty blue eggs from my new EE hen, she favors my FWM roo, so they should be EE's or OE's. Plus 2 from one of my new Anconas, the dad could be the FWM or EE. They will be a total surprise! Want to join me?

2. woodchips

woodchips Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2011
    Jackson ga. use
    I have 36 white leghorn due 7/01.

3. VioletBlueIvy

Jan 29, 2010
    Close enough! Wow, 36 leghorns. I had two leghorns, they were nice little birds. They layed big white eggs every day, all winter even. Every single one of thier eggs I incubated hatched. I made some pretty EE's from them earlier this year. Have you hatched leghorns before?

[​IMG]

4. PollyC

PollyC Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Hartford, Maine
    I have 18 guinea eggs due to hatch on 7/5. I actually have eggs due to hatch every day till then, and just set 6 spanish black turkey eggs late today so will count them day 1 tomorrow.

5. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    I have 6 Leg horn eggs under my Hen Gerty - they should hatch on 8th July hope this isn;t too late!!!! I am really looking foward to them! Oh yeah she is the Hen that Broods mice!!! So its incredible that she is finally doing the right thing and hatching real chicken eggs!!! [​IMG]

Oesdog

6. VioletBlueIvy

Jan 29, 2010
    I have a pip!!!It's one of the Ancona eggs, and it's in the wrong end, but it seems fine so far. The others are wiggling. I have had some fluctuation in temps, it is 50 at night and 80 during the day, so I have been turning it up at night and down again in the morning and that has been working well. Before I started adjusting it the temp would go down as low as 98 overnight, and as high as 102 in the daytime. I think the low temps at night have slowed them down a bit. Hopefully it will be ok!
    Anybody else?

7. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Well done I do hope you have a good hatch!

Mine are due anytime from tomorrow night - Saturday morning. Though under a hen you don;t get to see much! She is incredibly protective and the only way I got her off to go poo was with a stick poor girl!!!!!! Will let you all know if i get any chickies!

Oesdog [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  8. VioletBlueIvy

Jan 29, 2010
    Well, if she broods mice [​IMG], and is that protective, that has got to be a good sign! I cant wait to hear!
    I have another pip this morning, the other Ancona egg. It's interesting, I have had four hatches with white eggs in them, and they always are the first to pip. Must be a coincidence?
    Waiting Wating Waiting..........
    I have to go build a new brooder today, that will help keep me away from the incubator [​IMG]

9. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Quote:I am waiting !!!!!!!!!! So excited to see if we get any chicks. I am pretty sure the egg Gerty tossed aside is dead as it got very cold. We will see but I don;t hold out we will get all 6 eggs to hatch. I am just surprised she stuck it out after last year! Bertha our other good hen that had the chicks last year is still in the hospital pen. She is up on her feet and using the leg abit so that is good news however i need to get her moved ASAP as its the only pen that chicks cannot escape from so I need to move gerty and chicks into it once they hatch. The pen Gerty is in is on stilts and up a ramp to get in. Not too ideal for Bertha and her bad foot. Neither is the other coop full of her mates because it has the high roost bars which Bertha probably fell off and hurt herself - Oh chickies are so complicated? What to do ? What to do???? At least there is hope Bertha will get better and not go to cull. I didn;t want to lose that good momma. Well our chicks could hatch tomorrow? Oh this is sooo exciting!!!!! Waiting waiting ....
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Oesdog - No mice this time round!!!!! [​IMG]

Checked this morning and she has all 6 eggs right just under her front. She sure attacked my hand when I lifted her a little to see. 2 of the eggs have deffinate pips!!!

Waiting !!!!!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  10. VioletBlueIvy

Jan 29, 2010
    Awesome news about the pips!

I had a bit of drama here last night! around 5:00 we had a wicked bad thunder storm, and the power went out. At that point I had one hatched, one (the bloody pip egg that was having a hard enough time already) almost out, and 2 pips I could see. I watched miserably as the temp in my incubator dropped, and dropped, even though I wrapped it in a blanket. (which made the humidity shoot up to 90!) Finally, at around 8:30 the temp had dropped into the 70's and the hatched chick wasnt moving much, and shivering, the unhatched chick was shivering too, and peeping miserably, and I think they were dying. I figured I would try and save the ones that had hatched at least, so I dumped the unhatched one out of it's shell, and put it in my shirt, along with the hatched one, and got under a blanket. The poor things were cold against my skin. [​IMG] The unhatched one didnt even have the energy to uncurl. The hatched one got itself comfy though and after I felt them get warm and stop peeping, I checked them and the unhatched one had uncurled enough to get it's legs under it and lay like a normal sleepy newborn chick. I could hear peeping from the incubator and worried. I read a book by flashlight, and at 11:30 the power came back on. When the incubator got warmed up to the 90"s I put them back in, and watched until it got to temp. The little one finally got up and started moving around, whew! I was sure it wasn't going to make it. I got up in the night and checked a couple times, and had one more hatched each time, and 5 by morning.[​IMG] only a few more to go! I guess I needent have worried about them!
    I am pooped this morning!!!! I got up at 5:30 and made my DH his coffee and lunch, and after he went to work I went back to bed! My DD woke me up to tell me my eggs had hatched!!!!!!

DH was woken up by the peeping and looked at me, and said "you have got to be kidding me!?" and went back to sleep. I dont know if he saw what I was doing or if it was just the cheeping that prompted the comment, I didnt bother to ask this morning. [​IMG]

Anyway I am so excited they are all so geogeous! The two Ancona X 's are black or dark grey, with grey/white chests and white marks around the eyes. It looks like my FWM roo is the dad, one has feathered legs! All of the EE's have pea combs so far, and are yellow, some may have some chipmunk marks.
    I will get some pics later.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by