1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anybody Else just LOVE their neighbors?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by PepsNick, Nov 26, 2010.

1. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Just wanted to say that I love all my wonderful neighbors! They're always very supportive of my chickens and always asking me for fresh eggs and how they're very interested in my egg-business. I love them so much! And all the neighborhood kids are just OBSESSED with my flock lol. Thought maybe we should recognize some GOOD neighbors for once instead of talking about all the mean ones!

2. Ed62

Ed62 Chillin' With My Peeps

We have very good neighbors too, and feel very fortunate. We've been here for twenty years, so I guess that says something. [​IMG] Good neighbors make it worth living in any particular location. Bad ones, not so much.

Ed

3. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I have one very difficult and frustrating neighbor, one neutral neighbor, and one very sweet neighbor. She is always so gracious when I bring her eggs and we watch out for each other, help each other when needed, and so on. [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Our neighbors are few and far between. The one neighbor is a very busy woman, tending her 50 acre farm by herself. She has commercial chicken houses and a large herd of cattle. Still, I know she can be depended on when help is needed. Many times she would come up here to check on DH's late mother and was the first to respond when his mom fell and couldn't get up. Her daughter was the first to respond when DH's late father had a heart attack. The daughter performed CPR on him until DH got up here and took over.

It's our other neighbor that I really get a kick out of though. He has commercial chicken houses so technically he's not even supposed to be around my backyard flock. When he's out and about and sees me outside he will stop and talk. He loves to watch my chickens living a natural life. He is especially fond of my rooster and has been trying to make friends with him ever since the roo was little. He has lots of questions about my free range flocks. He also can be depended on to help me out when I need something for my chickens - he once gave me a syringe full of penicillin and each year gives me enough wormer to worm my birds; so I'm not forced to buy a huge bottle for my little flocks.

There is one neighbor I am not fond of, because she lets her dogs run loose and they sometimes come up on our place. In the friendliest way possible I told her that although I love dogs, I love my chickens more. If her dogs are ever a nuisance, they won't be returning home.

5. rnoyster

rnoyster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Conway, South Carolina
    I too have a wonderful neighbor family! Mom and Dad are great folks and they have taught their four children to show respect to their elders, even if their elders don't warrant it! The other neighbor is a real pain, but This family is simply the best. Always there if the wife or I need them and never question! Just act! They even sat with my Mom when she was terminally ill with lung cancer for the evening so that the wife and I could attend a dinner meeting and have a little time for just us after nearly 5 years of taking care of Moms daily needs! I would have to look long and hard to ever find any better folks to have close!!!!!!

6. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

My neighbors are great!

7. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Glad to know that THERE IS LOVE! LOL. Go great neighbors!

8. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Love is kinda a strong word and might convey the wrong idea. At any rate we have 3 close neighbors--nearest is about 300 yds--and they are all nice and helpful. When we lost a cat back in October they were supportive and helpful as well as very glad when we got her back. If any of us ever need help we know who to call on--one night I accidentally set off my car alarm and one that lives about a half-mile away called to see if everything was alright.

9. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I like my elderly neighbors. They buy my eggs and talk about their own experiences having backyard flocks when younger. I also like hearing about the area as it developed,and all the people that lived in my home before me. I also appreciated their help when things broke(water heater flooding home for one) and they gave me the numbers of people to help me.

I have other neighbors that I do not talk too,but I appreciate how quiet they are.No blaring music or garbage burning. I have read some real horror stories about neighbors that makes me nervous about getting new ones.All you can do is hope for the best!

10. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

We are very lucky to have great neighbors all around us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by