Anybody else sick of cars in general?(horses anybody!?)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by max13077, Aug 2, 2008.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

I realize in our society these days not having a car, at least where I live, is pretty much not possible. Sure I could move to town or the city(yuck). That’s not my cup of tea however and I couldn‘t have my chickies!! As if gas prices weren’t enough, it seems like the cars I’ve been finding in the last few years are getting even crappier made than they were. I have a 06 ford explorer, yes it guzzles gas, not proud of that. However it gets me from point a to point b.

The other day I noticed there was a big crack in the window frame on the back tailgate. I took it in to the dealer because I bought the extended warranty and thought it might be covered. Probably not, but I can hope. Well after taking all day to look at it(95% of which I know it sat in the parking lot), I came over from work; sure enough, not covered. Oh well, I’ll try some super glue or something. If I wanted to have it fixed it was going to cost better than $600 from the dealer. We won’t even go into that!

Now this morning when we’re driving back from getting groceries, the overdrive light came on!!!! The transmission is grinding like crazy. GRRRRR!!! That’s no small thing. It’s only got 38,000 miles on it!!! I took it over to the dealer and had the guy look at it. He started it up, put it in drive, and it of course made a horrible sound. “Yep, tranny’s gone” he said. “OK” I said, “can I get a loner till it’s fixed?” “Nope, don’t have none left” he said. I’m pretty sure that it says in my warranty small print that if something happens, they have to provide a loner. Oh well “Hi dad, can you come pick us up……again?”

Now here’s what really gets my skin crawling. I honestly think it’s sabotage. Laugh if you want, but I can’t ignore it. I can’t prove this but it has happened literally every time my father and myself have taken our cars back to a dealer to be fixed. Within a couple of weeks, happened a lot sooner in this case, something happens to the car. Something, somewhere goes wrong. A belt breaks, a water pump goes, the gas tank begins to leak; it’s always something. It’s just too much of a coincidence for me to ignore anymore. I think it’s time for a dateline investigation!!! I have to take it back to them because only they can do warranty work. I have a friend that works on the older stuff we’ve had and this never happened. Just, funny……

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My beef is that they are more and more sophisticated so the average backyard mechanic cannot work on them. AND the more sophisticated the electronics, the more likely they are to break down. It's a plot!

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    "Here! Here!" to speckledhen. I totally agree with that.

It's really hard to find an honest, good mechanic now-a-days also. We finally found one and we always use him, even if he's higher in price because we know he'll do the job right and be honorable about it.

4. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    My work truck died (hybrid only 5000 miles on it)and it took the shop 30 days to figure it out and fix it. if it had been 31 day we could have had it declaired a lemon under state law and gotten a new one. Now I get oil changes and manufacturer recommended preventative maintenance done free for the next 30,000 miles.
    So i took it in for an oil change and they asked if I wanted the tire rotated? it is recommended by the manufacturer so i was going to be free so I said why not. 3000 miles later took it back for another oil change and they asked if I wanted the tires rotated? I asked what they were going to do put them back how they were before? apparently they get refunded by chevy for warenty work they preform weather or not its needed!
    I'm taking it in again in a few weeks It'll be interesting to see if they recommend rotating the tire again!

5. Promiselandfarm

Promiselandfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Look and see if you have a Lemon law in your state. I know Tennessee does. Usually you can put your state in and .gov behind it and find your states website or google. Ours has laws listed. tn.gov pretty easy lookups too. Wonder if you could take it to a different dealer in another town? Say you just happened to have to take a trip and you think it is acting up? They just have to be ceritfied by the company correct?? Call the company and complain!! I wrote recently on something ..." they say one bad customer can tell 10 and hurt your business.... this is outdated... one unhappy customer with a computer can tell thousands or more".... got a response very quickly...

6. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    didn't read every word of this post but the title is definitely where I'm at!! i would rather pay taxes for someone to scoop poop (compost) off the road than deal with cars. Anyone ever been to Mackinac/Mackinaw Island up in MI? You either walk, bike or ride a horse. guess you could run/jog too, but there may be some local ordinances about that.

7. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Heck where I live, I just ride my horse to "town" (we dont even have a market, just some cafe's, a co-op and a nursin home, really. And one co-op gas station that ya have to have a co-op card to use, pretty tough if your just travelin through!) Ya just got to watch out for the idiots who rev up and act like their gonna run ya over just to scare your horse. Folks like that should have their cars impounded in my humble opinion. But anyway, I still have to take that derned diesel-guzzlin truck everywhere else, of course. I wish it was legal to ride other places, I'd sure do it!

8. moodusnewchick

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    Quote:must be nice to live in Corn!! [​IMG]
    sounds quite pleasant-ville [​IMG]:lau

i know humor is difficult on the computer. I totally love that you live in Corn, OK!!

9. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Quote:must be nice to live in Corn!! [​IMG]
    sounds quite pleasant-ville [​IMG]:lau

i know humor is difficult on the computer. I totally love that you live in Corn, OK!!

Yeah its pretty nice, and it takes about 30 min. to get there from my ranch. I wish it would take longer. I love it.

10. moodusnewchick

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    so, to continue my romanticizing of Corn, don't y'all have beef/cattle down yonder too? i'm just wondering why you're asking where the beef is!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by