1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

anybody else's horse do this??

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by blue90292, Mar 13, 2007.

1. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    he's not dead, that's actually how he sleeps. crazy huh?? first time he did this was about two weeks after i bought him. i thought he had colic'd and died on me, but he was just sleeping. 8 years later, he still hasn't changed. you'll find him like this, taking a cat nap soaking in the sun.

[​IMG]

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Every horse I've ever had liked to nap like that. Even in their stalls at night.

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

My mare does that! [​IMG]

4. TheBigWRanch

TheBigWRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    Wenatchee, Washington
    All horses will lay down, but they won't stay down for more than a couple hours because the weight of their body starts to crush their organs. That's why it is so dangerous for a sick horse to lay down, often times they can't get back up and die.

5. Ravenxxx

Ravenxxx Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2007
    England
    This is my boy Sparko, honestly he hasn't just been shot!!! just having a roll [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    My lazy gals do it all the time. When we got some new neighbors, they stopped in to tell me my horse was dead! [​IMG] Evidently they didn't know horses slept like that!

7. SunChick

SunChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2007
    Bel Air, Maryland
    My filly does that! She did it every afternoon soaked up the sun in the sand! She lays down at night too. The only time I got worried....and for good reason was she laid down after eating this past monday and colicked. Lucky for us no impactions, but she is doing much better today after tx with our vet monday eve. darn sand.

8. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    All my horses do that, scares the heck out of the neighbors though. What's funny, one will always keep watch while the others lay down and sleep, i guess looking for predators.

9. Marion

Marion Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    All four of mine do that as well, they have favorite spots to lay in and sometimes even lay their head on one another... it is really so sweet to see...and just like Equine Chick said one stays up and keeps watch for the others to sleep... a different one every time! It seems they learned good manners somewhere and take turns lol!

10. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Yep, one takes turns while the others lay down and rest. They only sleep about 2 hours a day in 15 minute spurts. It's funny to us but their life is food, breeding, and watching for things that want to eat them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by