1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anybody ever eaten the cocks comb?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by weaveagarden, Aug 31, 2009.

1. weaveagarden

weaveagarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    Hoquiam, Wa
    So, one of the latest fads is eating cocks combs. I have seen some just as is, and some made into a dessert.

My dad wants to try it, and I am probably game too. Has anyone here eaten it? How do you fix it? Got a recipe to share?

2. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    It just doesn't sound too good to me. Your adventurous spirit is great though, go for it. No idea of a recipe.

3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    If I were going to try and eat them, I think I would roll them in a seasoned batter and deep fry them.

4. Capone

Capone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Rhode Island
    i would try it if it was prepared in some sort of asian style dish. they seem to know whats going on with chicken parts. my wife is korean and she wont even eat a one of our fresh prosessed backyard chickens. go figure lol.[​IMG]

5. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
  6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I remember Andrew Zimmerman eating those and he said they are very gelentious and delicious. Almost like eating pig's feet.

7. weaveagarden

Jul 4, 2009
    Hoquiam, Wa
    I knew that the plant was in the amaranth family (also love lies bleeding I think) But I never knew that they were edible. Thanks for the info. I love amaranth seed. Sort of like little sushi caviar in texture when cooked to just the right amount.

8. weaveagarden

Jul 4, 2009
    Hoquiam, Wa
    Ah, that settles it. That is how my dad heard about them.... He watches Andrew a lot. I must admit that sounds rather good. I like gelatinous things. [​IMG]

I am not sure I could do the chocolate covered ones. I know that unsweetened chocolate is good in some chicken recipes as a spice. But chocolate covered.... I dunno? [​IMG]

9. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    If you're invoking the spirit of Andrew Zimmern then you need to serve it with a side of Roster ball soup..... Not bad actually but there is a textural issue most people would not like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by