Anybody ever expand their chicken tractor?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by noodleroo, May 25, 2010.

1. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Boy do I need some advice! I thought I had this all planned out; 6' x 3' x 3' tractor for 4 chickens-no problem.

What I didn't plan on is falling in love with more than 4 buff orpingtons! I ordered 11 and figured I'd keep the sweetest 4. Notice I said buff orpingtons. They are so sweet and loving that I really want to keep at least 8 of them at home in my back yard (the rest will go to live with the other chickens on our property about 3 miles away). Definately not enough room in the tractor so the only option is a stationary coop, right? Has anybody ever 'expanded' their tractor to make it a stationary coop? I'd sure like some suggestions.

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  2. kipoley

kipoley Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2010
    BFE Assyria, MI
    Is that 3 tall?
    I had a 6x8x 2' tall that I flipped on it's side because I couldn't get in it. It was tall enough for chickens [​IMG] It was 2x8 for a while until I decided I needed more chickens. It went back on the ground to make more floor space. Does yours have siding or is it mostly mesh? You could side it and add a run to it perhaps.
    ~Kimberly

3. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Its 3' tall. I'll post some pictures this evening after work. I'm really thinking that there is no way to have 8 chickens in a tractor; I'm afraid it'l way a ton....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by