Anybody ever had an aggressive chick?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cqranch, Nov 26, 2008.

1. cqranch

cqranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Russellville
    Just curious if anyone else has had an aggressive chick.. one I have that is not quite a week old will attack my hand. I'm not just talking a peck... will try to peck hard, repeatedly, then even try to flog my hand with wings and feet. Wonder if it will grow out of that or get worse?

2. Galwrestles4fun

Galwrestles4fun New Egg

Nov 26, 2008
    Ct
    I have a hen like that but she only got aggresive when she grew up. its a turken that used to follow me arround like puppy but now she attacks me alot... some breeds are just agressive in general though

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:It is probably a little cockeral and is at the top of the peckng order.

Your hand swooping in has put him on the defensive and you are invading their space. He is getting you before you get him. You need to pick him up and give him some attn to try and break the habit. Put some feed in your hand and show him you are friendly.

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    MissPrissy is right. You need to try and break the habit now while it's little. I have a 3 month old Welsummer roo that I'm still trying to break from that. I should have nipped it in the bud when he was a little miffer. Now he is a real pain in the rear!!

5. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I had 4 chicks and one is aggressive and it's the hen [​IMG] She would peck and attack our hand when we'd reach in the brooder box. Now they are out with the big chickens and she's lost some of it but still has a tendency to peck if you reach for her.

6. cqranch

cqranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Russellville
    I'll start handling him a bit more. I do think it's a roo, cause even at a week old, it's comb is more pronounced than the rest. It's really cute right now, but I know it's not something I want when he gets bigger. Course probably won't keep him anyway if he is indeed a roo.. I already have a BO roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by