Anybody ever have a dog choke to death on chicken bones?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by BBQJOE, Apr 2, 2016.

1. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    I figure this to be an old wives tale. I've never heard of one, but heard the story a million times.
    I kind of see it as if the dog doesn't chew something up well enough before he swallows it, it might be a defective dog.

I cooked to roosters feet yesterday, fed them both one, and neither of them died or choked to death.

2. nikkers390

nikkers390 Chillin' With My Peeps

The issue is not that they choke on chicken bones, it's the bones splinter and tear up the stomach and intestines. My dogs get raw chicken with the bone which is not a problem but no BBQ, fried or baked chicken bones. These will splinter. When making broth, and boil a LONG time, the bones are soft enough for me to eat and I have lousy teeth.

3. nikkers390

nikkers390 Chillin' With My Peeps

Incidentally, dogs will bolt their food. They do not chew like people are supposed to do. [​IMG]

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've fed my dogs both raw and cooked bones of all sorts of animals over the last 40+ years. Never had one have an issue.

You don't have to cook the feet before feeding them to the dog, btw. My dog eats them raw just fine.

5. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    It was pretty funny yesterday. I had the feet, gizzard, liver and other bits cooking in a pan on the stove.
    The wife walks through the kitchen, and proclaims, I AIN"T EATIN' IT!!!!

I said what?
    She said whatever's on the stove.

I just had to laugh and tell her it was for the dogs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by