Anybody ever have the USPS refuse to accept your hatching eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LeasureChix, Apr 12, 2011.

1. LeasureChix

LeasureChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Medford OR
    The USPS is the only carrier that ships live animals. I want to get some eggs from a nice lady in CA but when I asked her to write "LIVE HATCHING EGGS" on the box, she explained that her local (Lincoln CA) post office refuses to accept hatching eggs and wants her to drive 2+ hours to a larger PO that "handles" ag products. I am torn between getting my money back or having her try one of the other "mail" shipping offices, or contacting their Post Master and getting a better answer. I don't understand how a particular office can just flat refuse to accept something that the USPS ships all the time.

Anybody else ever have an office refuse your eggs for shipment? [​IMG]

2. Lil_Miss_Farmer_Chick

Lil_Miss_Farmer_Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    Kalkaska, Michigan
    Call the Regional Office and make a complaint, that is what I would do. I used to work for the USPS and I am so happy that I don't anymore. The stress of working my butt off only to see and hear all the horror stories that customers have to deal with was way more than I wanted to deal with. That office falls under these two categories: L-A-Z-Y and C-Y-A. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

edited to add: Maybe if she marked the box as Gramma's fruitcake or live reptiles, it might make it in pristine condition. [​IMG]
    I wouldn't mark the box, it seems like when it says fragile, or hatching eggs, etc. it automatically makes them want to punt it around a bit. When I did my training in the distribution center, they showed us how they sort. Picture slam dunking footballs into sorted bins. Yup and they get paid very well to practice these skills.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  3. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    You know with all the changes in the usps I would not be surprised if there are bigger delays in mail getting from one place to the other. Maybe that is why....their mail does not leave in a timely manner anymore. Just a thought.

4. LeasureChix

Feb 16, 2011
    Medford OR
    My husband and I are postal contractors. I have never heard of such a thing! Here is what I found online:

Mailing Live Animals
    Customers shipping live animals must ensure all packaging requirements are met. Live animal shipments may be presented at any Post Office; however, the service standard may be affected depending on the availability of transportation from the drop-off site.

Customers sending Express Mail shipments containing live animals should expect a 2-3 day transport of their shipment. Shipping early in the week is suggested, and holiday weeks may have limited acceptance days and times. Express Mail postage will not be refunded unless the delivery or attempted delivery is more than three days after the day of mailing.

I am going to check with our local guys this morning and believe me, I'll be talking to their Post Master. Unless there is something special about California and ag products... they need to accept my egg package and handle it with care IMHO.

5. LeasureChix

Feb 16, 2011
    Medford OR
    Quote:The mail is still running 24/7. Trucks breaking down, processing equipment break downs and weather can all cause delays but typically, the process is pretty smooth. It's amazing to see at the sort facilities. I've had eggs arrive real late when coming from So Cal but eggs from Wisconsin got here in 1 day last week. Eggs coming from central OR down here to southern OR took 2 days.

I'm sure Lincoln CA only has 1 truck that picks up their mail each day but as long as the eggs got there early, it just shouldn't be an issue.

Thank you for the super quick responses!!!!

6. LeasureChix

Feb 16, 2011
    Medford OR
    Quote:lazy????? CYA ????? The USPS? [​IMG] I'm sure you were ummmmm dead on! j/k, they write our paycheck and allow us to employ 14 drivers.

7. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Quote:The mail is still running 24/7. Trucks breaking down, processing equipment break downs and weather can all cause delays but typically, the process is pretty smooth. It's amazing to see at the sort facilities. I've had eggs arrive real late when coming from So Cal but eggs from Wisconsin got here in 1 day last week. Eggs coming from central OR down here to southern OR took 2 days.

I'm sure Lincoln CA only has 1 truck that picks up their mail each day but as long as the eggs got there early, it just shouldn't be an issue.

Thank you for the super quick responses!!!!

I believe that. Sometimes it is the routes they have set up. Used to live in Plano, Texas. I could mail a letter to Russellville, Arkansas and it would take a minimum of 4 days to get here. I could mail a letter to my mother in Springdale, Arkansas and she would get it in two days.

I am so scared of buying shipping eggs. I would rather make a day trip and go pick them up and buy from people close enough to do it that way! Even with the price of gas.

8. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Can you mark what someone mentioned on another thread? MAPLE SYRUP - so they handle it carefully so they do not have to handle if it breaks???
    Just a suggestion

9. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I honestly would rather someone write fragile or nothing at all, my other purchases always show up intact but my egg boxes are beat up(with broken eggs) more often than not. I know it isn't the local ladies as they love my hobby....

10. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    Quote:Thanks for posting this.

I just sent hatching eggs yesterday
    Wrote all over the box

DO NOT XRAY
    LIVE EMBRYO HATCHING EGGS

Our PO stamped it about a million times FRAGILE

I cant imagine that These little POs can just make up the rules as they go. They are all paid by the same source, (taxpayers)

I hope the person who is shipping the eggs takes a copy of this to that Post office.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by