1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anybody ever own an African Clawed frog?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickensioux, Nov 21, 2009.

1. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I was wondering what these were like as pets?

2. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    I have always wanted one or two... but never had them... at one of my doctors offices they had two frogs and they were huge(not sure if they were african clawed frogs)...

3. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I believe I remember reading that they can be kept in the vases with plants, similar to a Betta.

I've always watched them in the stores, I did a little research from time to time, never actually bought any though.

4. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    they are crazy! They fight each other and love pork roll................. Don't ask, LOL! I say, GET THEM!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  5. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    Here in Oregon the African Clawed Frog ( the ones that get bigger.) are against the law.

But you can have a Dwarf African Clawed Frog..

I had one. I had an awful time getting it to eat. It passed on to the big pond in the sky..
    Maybe it was to young and had a bad time during shipping.
    [​IMG]

6. biddie

biddie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2009
    Are those the lil white frogs they somtimes have in the fish tanks at wal-mart my mom had one of those and her fish kept dissapearing then she found alil pile of fish bones in one of the lil caves seems the frogs ate the fish as the slept? Can't blame them i like fish too. LOL

7. Rising_Phoenix

Rising_Phoenix Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2009
    Eastern Ks
    They will get to 4 inches long, you can keep 1 of them in a 10 tank, water temps need to be between 71.6-77 F, they will live up to 15 years, water in tank should be no deeper then 12 inches if it's any deeper they will not be able to get to the top to breath, do not use small gravel in the tank as they can accidentally eat it, should have hiding places made of rocks , wood, and flower pots make sure decorations will not be able to fall on them, have a secure lid on the tank as they can fit through the tiniest of holes, gentle filtration should be used as too strong a filter can make water vibrations which they are sensitive too and can stress them, they will eat fish food and live foods such as blood worms, small fish, earth worms, crickets and feed 3-4 times a week.

8. chinbunny

chinbunny In a hutch

Aug 24, 2009
    They make great pets. the males will sing at night. They need about a ten gallon sized tank, or larger. Don't put them in with any fish. I learned the hard way that they will eat them, when I had mine. They will also live for many years.

9. GAChknGirl

GAChknGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Denver, Illinois
    We have 5 albino african clawed frogs!! pretty cool to have in a tank... they do eat fish.. but we bought them feeder gold fish and they never ate one it is bigger then them now [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    the fish a year after lol
    [​IMG]

10. tunaoftheland

tunaoftheland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    I had two, both males. I liked the singing but it drove my parents crazy! They needed separate tanks though 'cause they fought. And as others pointed out, they'll eat fish. But they live for a long time with out being too difficult and they are fun to watch. I had each of mine in a three gallon tank with sand on the bottom. No filters, we just cleaned the tanks out once a week or two. We fed them these little frog pellets from the pet store. Mine were over ten years old when they died. On the same day, creepily enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by