Anybody ever tried a NITE GUARD SOLAR to keep predators away?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Maryallison, May 11, 2009.

1. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    I saw this on a chicken websight and was wondering if anyone has ever tried it or do you guys think it may work? I had a possum or raccoon kill 2 of my chickens the other day and at this price I ws just wondering if it works? [​IMG]

Maintenance-free, solar-powered units require neither batteries nor electricity.

Units are completely sealed, protecting against moisture & are high/low temperature resistant.

Red flashing LED light automatically turns on at dusk & off at full daylight.

Concept is simple, but it works.

Predators believe the flash to be the eye of another animal & they feel threatened, so they stay away. Protects against owls, coyotes, opossum, raccoons, fox bobcats, muskrats, bear, cougar, wild boar, mink, weasels & many more nocturnal predators.

Use multiple units for maximum effect

2. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
  3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Yes!! We have 2. Each facing different directions. We have raccoon, fox, badger, coyotes and other predators in our area. We have had these for almost a year and have had no problems! I highly recommend them. If you have any questions I would be more than happy to try and help.

4. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Oh! this is what my mom was talking about since a dumb coyote killed some of my chickens

5. Polish Chickens

Polish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    Do these things work? I might consider buying some of these to predator proof my flock of crested polish

6. WilczenskiFarm

WilczenskiFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Pembroke, MA
    I checked out the website... did you mount these up high (that's what it looks like in the photo) ?
    They seem very cool - definitely looks like it's worth the money to try it.[​IMG]

7. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    The directions say that you want to mount them at the height your predator would be at. Imagine a raccoon looking it in the eye. DH mounted ours so I can't say how high they are. I say coon because that is our main problem here.

8. WilczenskiFarm

WilczenskiFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Pembroke, MA
    Cool! That's what I thought! I can't wait to get our chicks... got about 2 to 3 weeks to go, so we're still workin on the coop... the nite guard might be the finishing touch!
    Thanks guys!

9. lickskillet

lickskillet *Home of the Shoveler*

Jan 16, 2009
    Kentucky
    Wonder if it would work for dogs.... and neighbors kids(lol). Going to show my husband these THANKS!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by