1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anybody experienced a hen hatching in a milk crate above the floor? Do chicks jump out after hatchin

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicklets81, Apr 17, 2017.

1. chicklets81

chicklets81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2017
    I have my first broody hen, and she is sitting on eggs inside a milk crate. Should I be worried that they will hatch, and jump down and die? Has anyone dealt with this before?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    If you put all the eggs under her at the same time so she does not have a staggered hatch----then check on her late day 21 or early day 22---if she is ready to come off the nest she will be outside calling them---you can remove the chicks and turn the crate on its side OR you might could turn it on its side when she gets off the nest to eat---then fix something a few inches tall across the front to help hold everything inside the crate. Or if you got another crate---cut most of the front out and leave a few inches on the bottom, then when you catch her taking a break or at night just exchange the nesting and eggs to the new cut out one. Watching to make sure she settles back down on the eggs.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  3. chicklets81

chicklets81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2017
    Thanks for this suggestion! I actually decided to take her entire milk crate, and move it to the floor of the coop. And I put a replacement crate in the spot where she was, because it was obvious that the crate she choose to put her nest in, was very popular with the other hens, because I ended up finding extra eggs in her nest everyday. After I moved her, she only has her own eggs everyday.

2 more weeks until hatch, yippee!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by