anybody familiar with Lt. Sussex???? Want a different answer (lol).

bustermommy

Songster
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
I have a Lt. Sussex who is giving me a scare about his? gender. I got these two chickens two months ago and, at that time, I was told they were about 4 weeks old, which would make them 3 months old now. Pics are as good as I could get; they were NOT cooperating. Really appreciate your opinions.

86918_flaps1.jpg
[/img]

86918_flaps2.jpg
[/img]

86918_flaps3.jpg
[/img]

86918_flaps4.jpg
[/img]

Last edited:
Thanks. Anybody else? They're supposed to a pair. sigh.
sad.png
barnie.gif

If I wanted two pullets, then one or both would be a boy.
rant.gif

That comb looks awfully red for just 3 months, and something about the face says "roo" to me... but I'm not familiar with the sussex breed, though. Maybe sussex pullets develop early?

Well, I'm hoping that one's a boy. He was supposed to be. Although he has feathers on his legs (just little stubs), so he has bad genes. He just doesn't seem to be getting a roo tail and these are my first chickens so I'm worried because I just don't know.

I thought he should have a bigger comb/wattles by this time if he's a boy and have a tail different from the girl.

Last edited:
Dig in the feathers on either side of his tail - he might have saddle feathers poking through by now. In terms of rooster tails, those sometimes take awhile to become apparent... especially in heavier breeds
smile.png

He does have some kind of "feathery" feathers that are almost silkyish coming in. They don't seem like the saddle feathers I've seen in the pics from here though. Or like the ones on my evil roo who went to freezer camp.

Last edited:
I could be totally screwed then, because the other one has some of those too. That's kind of what got me worried is that they are just soooo alike, except for a little bit bigger comb and wattles.

Back
Top Bottom