1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anybody feeding their chickens Malabar Spinach?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 2chicks poultry, Aug 3, 2013.

1. 2chicks poultry

2chicks poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2013
    Othello Washington
    I have a plant that is growing well but its not big enough to feed yet. In case you don't know what Malabar Spinach is its a Spinach that is native to India. I have heard that it is a good source of protein for chickens. Is anyone else feeding it to their chickens, what are your experiences?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    interesting, had never heard of it. It sounds like a useful plant, spinach suited to the hot weather. Wonder how it would grow in the summers around here. Would think the chickens would eat it like any other leafy green vegetable, they do like regular spinach. Have to admit that they also call it Malabar Nightshade is a little creepy.

3. 2chicks poultry

Apr 27, 2013
    Othello Washington
    It does really well in summer months, and ya it is a little creepy that is also called nightshade[​IMG], but my chickens have eaten it and it doesn't make them sick.[​IMG]

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Sand Hill actually carries two varieties of it, will have to try it next year.

5. 2chicks poultry

Apr 27, 2013
    Othello Washington
    Cool![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by