Anybody have a chick choke on med chick starter food?

NCchicken

Songster
9 Years
Sep 8, 2010
hit.gif
My DH found one of my chicks dead this morning.
sad.png
She was perfectly fine, healthy and active. I picked her up and noticed that she had a crumble of med chick starter feed in her mouth and I assume she choked. Has anybody have this happen before? I am so upset. She was an awesome little chick. A very vibrant soul! I buried her under the maple tree next to my other chick who passed on Sunday because it couldn't open it's eyes and hatched out from the wrong end of the egg.

I'm so sorry for your loss! I guess things like that happen, but probably not often!
I have been worried about my little darlins with the sunflower seeds everyone says they like so much, how do you know if their little throats are big enough? Again, my condolenced on the loss of your little one.

Thank you so much for your kind words. I am feeling so awful about it. It's so hard and I understand it is a part of hatching out baby chicks and it is a fact of life and mother nature, but it still just plain stinks. I am so beat up over it and I have to keep reminding myself that it isn't my fault. There are a million other crumbles that are perfectly sized for them. Perhaps I should grind down my feed as well, at least for the first few weeks. It makes me wonder if she was eating it and then got trampled by others and it lodged in her throat and after she died it came up out of her throat and stuck in her mouth. My poor Blondie, she is missed. She was such an awsome vivacious little chick and I so wanted to see her flourish as she aged. Sigh...

Back
Top Bottom