Anybody have a clue? I'm lost here.....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Hezz, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Hezz

Hezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Poconos, Pennsylvania
    So my hubby informed me that I have to go pick up 6 chicks tomorrow that he found on Craigslist for free with all supplies. This is exactly what the lady posted as the first sentence in the ad....(I copied and pasted)

"I have six baby hens, only a few weeks old that I need to rehome asap! three redhorn hens and three longhorn hens"

He called her on the phone and she said that they bought them thinking it was something they wanted to get into, but now they don't want them.

What the hell is a Redhorn and a Longhorn????

I am thinking that she might mean Red Leghorn, and White Leghorn. I have NEVER heard of Redhorn or Longhorn being a breed of chicken before. [​IMG]

Any ideas????

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Sounds about right, but assume they were easter purchase and be ready for all of them to be males (that's what happens here, the hatcheries unload males onto the feedstores).

3. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Redhorn and Longhorn [​IMG]Yep, no such thing. My guess is that they are White Leghorns or White Rocks and Production Reds.

4. Aschenfire

Aschenfire Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Wooooo Longhorn Chickens! They'd be perfect for here in Austin TX!!!!

5. Hezz

Mar 1, 2012
    Poconos, Pennsylvania
    FireTigeris, Well I certainly hope they're not cockerels, she listed them as hens. BUT, she apparently doesn't even know what breed they are, so how would she know what sex they are?! LOL!

Peeka52, LOL! Your post made me laugh as hard as the ad she posted made me laugh, just seeing the little smiley cracking up!

I thought..."what the hell?" when I saw what she listed. I told my hubby there was definately no chicken breed that I ever heard of with those names.

IF I go to get them tomorrow, and that's a BIG IF, I will post pics of them and see what you all think.

6. Hezz

Mar 1, 2012
    Poconos, Pennsylvania

LMAO! Yeah, like she's talking about some kind of cattle! Haha!

7. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

GO get them if he's promised, grow them up and sell them to the feedstore or auction if males.

Remember QT- keep the birds you have safe.

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Here's a picture:

[​IMG]

Imp- never doubt me. [​IMG]

9. Aschenfire

Aschenfire Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  10. Hezz

Mar 1, 2012
    Poconos, Pennsylvania

Now THAT is a LONGHORN! [​IMG] Hahahaha! Awesome!

Oh, I almost forgot because you have me laughing so hard.....she called last night, after promising the chicks to us, and told my hubby that someone came and picked them up.....RUDE! LOL!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by