Anybody have a grass brooder?????

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by robnms, Jan 27, 2011.

1. robnms

robnms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Gulf Coast MS
    I'm trying to avoid the run from becoming bare dirt and at the same time provide something for the chickens to eat. I thought about just planting something in there but they would eat the seeds in a day, so I came up with this idea. I"m planning on building some 4' x 8' frames out of 2" x 4"'s and cover it with 1/2" hardware cloth on one side. I'm gonna lay it down in the coop with the wire side up and plant some rye grass seeds or bird seeds inside of it to let it grow up thru the wire and they can eat it thru the wire or just move it once the plants get growing and start over. It wouldn't be much work once it's built and rye grass seeds are cheap and grow fast. I need to know what would be a good fast growing plant/grass/greens that the chickens will like.

Has anyone tryed this or something similar?

2. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2010
    This sounds like a pretty good idea especially if your coup is stationary. I may put something like this just outside the pop door and see what happens.
    Thanks for sharing,

Mikey

3. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

thats a good idea, simmilar to sprouting but on a larger scale. You can sprout just about any seed that isnt treated. Id do a variety at first and see which one goes over the best, or even just keep a variety sprouting depending on what you can get your hands on. It wil be like a chicken salad bar! Id start with something cheap and simple like a bag of lentils from the dry bean section of the grocery store, even some BOSS, some feed oats maybe? Go nuts!

4. robnms

Jul 9, 2010
    Gulf Coast MS
    I'll try it in a week or 2 and post results and pics, it's been a little warm here and I had some seeds from scratch grains sprout in this weather.

5. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    warm enough weather to sprout seeds outside? I am so jealous.
    I like your idea too.
    Iwould love to stop sprouting in the jar...

6. robnms

Jul 9, 2010
    Gulf Coast MS
    Quote:Gotta love the south during winter but the summer months will make the power company love your A/C.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by