Anybody have any idea what these guys are?

backyarder13

Hatching
Mar 20, 2015
Nicholasville Ky
Hey everyone! New to chickens and new to BYC.
I recently purchased 6 barred rock pullets from my local TSC. From the beginning I was skeptical that these are actually barred rocks as they do not look like pictures I could find online.

Any help would be appreciated.

I initially purchased 6 chicks 3 weeks ago. One didn't make it 3 days and the others are doing great. One of the chicks is different looking than the rest, she is more brown and we call her Ally (assuming she is a she) and the other 4 look the same so we call them 2-5 because they are a little hard to tell apart right now. They are mostly black with a little brown coming through.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the blurry pics, they don't sit still much.

welcome-byc.gif

I see TSC is at it again. I have the same issue with 6 of my chicks. They could not tell me what they were or were taking guesses. Hope you get answers to what they are.

:welcome

I see TSC is at it again. I have the same issue with 6 of my chicks. They could not tell me what they were or were taking guesses. Hope you get answers to what they are. 

Thanks!
Yeah the guy at TSC thought the breed of the chicken was "pullet" so I knew right away I was in trouble. Lol, the picture on both the "straight run chicks" and "Pullets" were of barred rocks. The straight run chicks actually looked like barred rocks chicks that i could find.

HAHAHA they did the same with me. "Ummm we have pullets, Bantams, and meat chicks" Incredible the knowledge they have on their products.

HAHAHA they did the same with me. "Ummm we have pullets, Bantams, and meat chicks" Incredible the knowledge they have on their products. 

I was surprised by that as well. They kept blaming the hatchery for everything and anything and while I'm sure they deserve some blame, TSC should at least basically train their employees about livestock of any kind.

Last edited:
I am a store manager for tractor supply. Occasionally you will have a team member in a store that knows quite a bit about chickens so we are able to guess or logically figure out what they are. Up until this last shipment they never labeled what they sent us just said straight run or assorted pullets or ducks or Cornish rocks. In my store there is 3 of us that know sompin about chickens but the rest of my team doesn't and isn't required to. We aren't the hatchery itself so we do not know what they are giving us for certain. And occasionally they mix some in that are not the same. For instance I got a red pullet mixed in with my Cornish rocks two weeks back. So knowledge varies store to store.

I understand completely that TSC isn't the hatchery and will not have all the answers. I also understand the hatchery was crap to work with this year.
As a consumer though, I expect if you sale chickens that you have someone on hand at all times to answer questions better than "I don't know" and It's reasonalble to assume that if you sale the animal you will be informative about the animal you are selling.
Of the 3 employees I spoke to at my location it was apparent that they didn't know and didn't want to know anything about them.

I'm not meaning to generalize all TSC employees, and for the most part they are very helpful and always very nice people. I was just surprised that no one at my location had any knowledge whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom