Anybody have any ideas for chicken entertainment?

The ChickenKing

Songster
5 Years
Jun 24, 2014
NY
My chickens are about 4 1/2 months old and I feel like they might be kinda bored, are there any cool ideas out there to keep them entertained & happy?

Anything new you can introduce to their environment will spark their curiosity and give them something to do. Are they outside? Are they confined in a coop/building or able to go out into a contained run or free range?
You can do anything from hanging a head of cabbage for them to peck at, putting in new items for them to climb around on/under, creating "food puzzles" out of things they have to move or manipulate to get into a treat, etc.

They have access to their run as well as free range fom at least 7:00 A.M to 7:00 P.M then I put them in the coop at 8:00, I also read somewhere that a small mirror could be used to entertain them as well, would that work?

And, don't forget their favorite toy- YOU!
lol.png

I saw a video of a lady who installed a chicken swing, hung old cd's from a string like a mobile, and threw in a Kong dog toy that they filled with chicken treats.
  I don't know much about chicken psychology but if they're ADD like me, variety always helps keep my attention.
:pop  
Yeah I saw that video of the swing too, the toy with treats sounds like a good idea, I just bought them a treat bell so I can put my garden scraps in it for them to peck at. Thanks :)

I am new to chickens but my chicken seems quite interested in the little silver whirligigs that I have around my koi pond to deter herons. She seems fascinated with it and pecks at it.

I'm building a large run right now and I'm going to build a couple different ladders and jungle gyms for them. I have a plastic mirror hanging in their coop they like to look in. You can string apples and treats for them to peck in. Also you can put a pile of wet leaves in the outdoor run and they will dig in that for bugs. They love shiny objects so you can hang those for them to peck. Just make sure they cant get small objects to choke on. Haha. You can put different seeds in a shallow tray of water for them to find. Dust boxes keep them busy as well. You can also build a "chicken swing" for them. Just a bunch of different ideas. Go crazy and let your imagination run.

Back
Top Bottom