Anybody have ducks that naturally pair up?

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
I have a total of 10 adult ducks. 4 are pekins (2 male 2 female) 4 rouens (3 male 1 female) and a pair of cayugas. They all run together, but the cayugas stick together, period. If another male gets too close to the duck, she takes off running away as fast as she can. If one of the other males does catch her, then the cayuga drake comes running to save her. So they are certainly paired up, and they are the only ones that do this! Anyone else have naturally paired up ducks?

Mine naturally pair up all the time. So do my chickens. I have cochins and brahmas and even though they are all fluffy butts to me, they keep themselves seperate.

I have a pair of buff/rouens mixes that have paired up. I guess they know they are mixed and don't want to mingle with the full blood lol.

Julie

My two black Swedish have paired up, but they were raised together. I have seen the male mate with our two newer blue Swedish gals, but he hangs out and keeps an eye on his main girl.

I did get a Mini Appleyard girl and a Snowy Call boy from two different places and they automatically paired up. I don't know if they seem to know they are both small or what.

I have 2 male ducks that have paired up. One is a crested duck and the other is a mallard. They are 2 peas in a pod. Their names are Ronald and Donald. They are the yard security guards. They break up all rooster fights, all mating sessions, all geese confrontations, all naps, all parties, all EVERYTHING. Oh yea, and they try to mate with the chickens. They waddle around the entire place looking for trouble. They need their own reality show. They have a VERY weird friendship.

Kuntrygirl,

That is sooo funny!
lau.gif
It looks like you have EVENT POLICE!!
pop.gif

I have 5 pekins, 1 female rouen, 1 buff, 2 half rouen half pekins, and 1 half buff half pekin. The buff boys definately have specific pekins that are theirs and ONLY theirs. Some times they go out of their way to go the opposite direction from the rest of the flock. I think its cute. Since we have more females than males, our other gents kindly offer their services to all the ladies.
roll.png

Pekins don't seem to make loyal hubbies.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom