Anybody have expirence with My Pet Chicken?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HorsebackBrony, Jul 28, 2014.

1. HorsebackBrony

HorsebackBrony Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2014
    I orderedfour baby chiks from there, and we got an email around 10 am today that they have been shipped. (Express shipping) Any idea when they might arrive? Also, if they do arrive tommorow my mom won't be able to pick them up until at least 3. She doesn't see this as a problem, but I don't like the idea of them staying at the post office that long. Am I right to worry or just overreacting? Since I'll be home all day, we could ask the post office to deliver to our door, but our doorbell doesn't work and I'm afraid I'd miss them, plus I don't want them in that hot truck longer than nessasary. Worst case, we could probably get my dad or one of her friends to pick them up... but that's all only if they arrive tommorow.

Anyways, I am extremely excited! This is my first order of chicks, and it took a lot of work to convince my mom, but I think the fresh eggs factor helped a lot. By the way, what do fresh eggs taste like? For some reason I keep imagining orange scrambled eggs that taste like liquid pizza. Don't ask why.

I'm kind of rambling here. Sorry! I'm just really excited! We are using shredded newspaper for bedding... I've heard both good and bad things about that, but mostly that its not the best but totally useable, and its on extremely short notice so...

I'm just really excited!!! The one thing I'm a little unclear onis the pasty butt thing, can you fill me in on that? Thanks!

2. MoonSkin

MoonSkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2014
    Hi, congrats on the chicks! I've ordered several chicks from MPC and have always had excellent service and never had a death. I think it's normal to be worried but, they should be fine. I would recommend wood shavings or even cloth over newspaper. Only for the smell factor though. Pasty butt is an issue where feces clogs the opening of the cloaca. If not fixed it could be deadly but, proper are should prevent this issue. Fresh eggs taste like regular eggs only with a stronger and richer flavor. I love it, they are much more filling and healthful!

1 person likes this.
  3. ShinShien

ShinShien Overrun With Chickens

Oct 1, 2013
    Alabama
    Fourteen of my twenty-two chickens came from MPC. I like their service. Always got them at the post a day after they hatched.

4. KristinaE

KristinaE Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2014
    I had an 18 chick delivery from My Pet Chicken this June. They ship out of Meyer hatchery in Ohio. I also had express shipping, and the chickes traveled clear across the county and arrived at the west coast the next day. All are happy and healthy.
    Have fun with your new chicks tomorrow!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  5. suzfau

suzfau New Egg

Jul 29, 2014
    I have received chicks from them twice and all was well. I think it is VERY important that you communicate with your post office beforehand. They will keep them in a not too hot/cold place and possibly love a peek inside the box when you get there! Mine were fine waiting for me until late afternoon but do communicate!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by