Anybody have fibromyalgia?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Frogtown, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Frogtown

Frogtown Back 40 Farm

Aug 16, 2007
    South Carolina
    I have had two doctors tell me they think I have it this year. If you or someone know has it, how are they doing with it? I have been put on so many different meds this year, trying to manage the pain. Today the doc brought up trigger point infections. How well do they work? Any help would be appricated!!

2. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Yep, 20 something miserable ( pain filled ) years of it. Never a day that I don't feel like a truck has hit me. I was hanging my hopes on Lyrica, but couldn't take it. Stomach upset. The only thing I take now is Methocarbomol ( muscle relaxer ) and plain ole Asprin. It is terrible. I can't even remember feeling good. Just have to push through the pain. There is a lot of info out there. I suggest you find a support group. It is very common for family, friends, employers and the medical community to not believe you have anything because you look healthy. I have a very supportive husband and DR. You're lucky to have found a supportive DR. Refuse to let anyone tell you " Its all in your head" . How do you convince someone that I don't hurt because I'm depressed, but that I AM DEPRESSED BECAUSE I HURT! You have my deepest, sincere sympathy. There are a lot of us on here.

Micah

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    As for me, I've got all the signs of it and my doctor brushed it off as "this disease does not happen/not exist". I will be going to my OB doc next month and see what he thinks!

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I use to get injections in my neck/shoulders but it got to a point where that was more painful to get those..... I just live with it pretty much.............. [​IMG]

5. orionburn

orionburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    I have had two doctors tell me they think I have it this year.

That's what concerns me. Fibro can be a difficult disease to "prove." Are you seeing regular doctors or have you seen a rheumatologist? I've got psoriatic arthritis so I sympathize. Find yourself a good rheumatologist that is determined to make you feel better. Diseases like this are a guessing game. I spent the better part of a year going back and forth between different meds and combinations of them to reduce the pain.​

6. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I just suffer with it, no treatments at this time. I do take flexorill to help me relax a bit and rest at night but that's it. I am one who tries not to take meds any more than absolutely necessary.
    Both my mother and her sister have it as well. Mother's is the most advanced and she has very few days that are not very painful for her. She has been on a laundry list of meds over the years, none of which really did much of anything.
    It's a frustrating and debilitating disease that is very hard to treat. I sympothize with you. [​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I wouldn't trust anyone BUT a rheumatologist to make the diagnosis. After many years of different meds., I now take Lyrica. Works great for me, but OMG! the weight gain. My internist insists that you can't gain weight unless you are moving the fork to your mouth too much, but he doesn't understand. Lyrica causes a painful hunger (at least for me).
    I have my meds down to four each day and only one is for the fibromyalgia.
    Trigger point injections work well for me too. However, one of my most painful trigger points is at the base of my skull. Good luck finding a doctor that is comfortable with sticking a large needle there. [​IMG]
    If you're not already taking it, vitamin D3 (has to be the 3 and not the 2) works wonders.
    There are many good threads here on BYC about fibromyalgia sufferers. You can do a search.
    Good luck to you.

8. cmjust0

cmjust0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Central KY
    I 2nd the call for a rheumatologist...fibromyalgia is believed to be an autoimmune condition, and that's what rheumies do.

Also, I'd suggest having your Vitamin D3 (25-hydroxyvitamin-d) levels checked. Most people are deficient, and Vit. D3 is an immunomodulator and powerful anti-inflammatory prehormone. Docs don't consider it to be problematic unless the levels are less than 20ng/ml, but newer research is pointing toward anything less than 50ng/ml as insufficient.

I know too many people -- myself included -- who have stated that they feel like new human beings after beginning a D3 regimen. It's good stuff. [​IMG]

9. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Can you get D3 just like a vitamin at a store? How much should you take.....I constantly have muscle aches and pains, and I've never gone to the doctor......wonder if that would help me?

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Here's a great article @ motherearthnews.com about Vitamin D3:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Natural-Health/2008-02-01/Vitamin-D-Sunshine-Supplements.aspx

You can get it at the store. I buy it at walmart (we don't have a regular pharmacy in town). The brand I get is Spring Valley. It needs to be the vitamin D3, not the vitamin D2 because 3 is better absorbed and utilized by the body.
    I get the 5,000 IU (international units) gel caps, which is alot but my doc is very comfortable with that dosage.
    If you are unsure whether the bottle you are looking at is the D2 or D3, read the label. Vitamin D3 is supplied as cholecalciferol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by