1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

anybody have humidity around 70% w/ dry hatches?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bock_Bock, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    i have my humidity close to 70% but it still seems that some of my chicks are hatching out dry i lost 2 already the zipped but never popped i woke up to them it was so sad, i know my hygrometer is right as i used it before and had 2 in there, so i was wondering is there a way the hygrometer can read humidity in a still air incubator as having the high humidity but also having dry water wells is this possible?

2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    What is the humidity in the room ?
    I can't see that it is possible to have 70 % Hum with no water in the bator at all ! The humidity is wrong.

3. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    i was just wondering i guess they could be sticky from not being turned, but it was just weird to have 2 zip all the way but never come out, thanks for your input

4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Sorry, but at 70% humidity you stand a better chance of drowning the chicks than them being dry. Re-check you hygrometer. With no water in the wells, the reading is wrong.

5. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    ok i will thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by