Anybody have pics of Black Star chicks/Hens?

My black star looks just like the one in the pic above.

She is the only one of my flock that loves to be held and is the first to greet me when I go out to see them.

Can't wait until she lays eggs.

I can help with the chick! I have just figured out that this girl is a black star. She has those pretty orangish feathers coming in now around her neck. At first I thought she was an Austrolorp. This was from McMurray from the brown egg layer collection. Some of them had much less white on them but all were black with at least some white and usually black legs.

14217_48ac28e20009cc2a000025b522165499760902080a019c0c0a.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Do you have a picture of her from farther away? I'd love to see what the rest of her looks like. She has a beautiful head and neck! It looks like the rest of her is black. If so, do her feathers have that green sheen like australorpes do?

Yes we have another picture (with Grandma in background). This was taken when we first got her but she hasnt changed much. And yes her black feathers have that green and sometimes purple sheen. She is also quite a character.

IMG_1223.jpg

We hatched out our own Black stars this year using a Production Red Rooster and a Barred Rock hens. We only ended up with one hen and 3 roosters.(BAD LUCK THERE) But our hen is so beautiful and she is huge compared to every one else. I am looking for a pic as I type this. She is very dark colored with just a little gold on her chest and she has the greenish/purple tinge to her feathers. She also has attitude she thinks if i don't give her food right away that means she should peck me! Not hard just kinda saying hey im here!
As a chick she was all black with just a tiny bit of white on her belly. The roosters where all black with white on there heads and have feathered out to look just like Barred rocks. At 12-13wks old only one even has the rusty colored feathers on his head. They look like BR hens,with combs! lol

This is a front pic of her not a good picture but you can see the lacing better.
BlackStarFront.jpg

This is a nice pic of her from the side. I wish I had some when she was outside but it was raining the day I decided to take pictures.
Blackstarside.jpg

Thanks for the extra picture Hen Daddy, she's just so pretty. I think she may have the prettiest face I've seen.

BossynBella I love your picture too! It just amazes me how different they can look. She's really pretty too.

I read that they lay 5 eggs/week. Does that sound right to all of you that have them?

Thank you Mom2jedi. She really is a very pretty girl. She is the first one to come and see me when I go into the run and if I am working on anything in the coop she comes and talks to me (hen language of course). She has not been laying for awhile (she is getting over a molt) but we think its going to be soon.

I realize this is an old post but found it when I googled Black Stars.

Eggs were given to me, so I don't know the parents.

This little chick hatched this morning at day 20. Does it look like a female Black Star? It doesn't have any white on it. Dark single comb. I'll check out the bottom of the feet tonight.

24846_brs_first_hatch_oct_29_09_005.jpg

Here are a few pics of Black Star chicks (just a few days old) from Privett Hatchery in New Mexico. They have grown to look like the previous pics (with the goldish colored breasts and green-sheened black bodies. Nice Chickens.

Jam384.jpg

Jam470.jpg

Jam483.jpg

Jam364.jpg

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom