Anybody have pics of Black Star chicks/Hens?

230_the_hens_small_800.jpg

The two black ones are black sexlinks.

The colors can vary because each hatchery/line can use different base stocks.

Darn - I'm at work and can't view pics from Photobucket. I'll look at them when I get home.

My Barred Rock in the pic came from Privet back in Feb. All my hens (BR, RIR, BO) from them are fat, fluffy, and friendly.

NOTE: It is my understanding that IF the chicks have a "white spot" on their heads.....those will be roosters.

When I bought these chicks (shown in previous post), I told the boy at the feedstore that I didn't want any that had a "white-spot" on their head. So far, they appear to all be pullets....not absolutely sure yet...might have a cockerel or two...(I bought 16) The feedstore got them from Privett Hatchery in Portales, New Mexico...down the road a couple hundred miles.

I expect to get my first egg from these gals any time now...they are 5 months old now.

A few more pix:

Jam578.jpg

Jam580.jpg

Jam579.jpg

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

Regarding how far it is from here to Portales, New Mexico (Privett Hatchery).....I said a couple of hundred miles...It's probably more like 300-400 miles from where I live in New Mexico.....(Big State).

That reminded me of an old story about the difference between the British and the Americans:

The difference is one of Time and Distance........
The British think 100 miles is a LONG WAY.....
Americans think 100 years is a LONG TIME.
wink.png

Ha-Ha!
lol.png

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

P.S. GLAD to hear that my Black Stars all look like pullets!

My little darling does have white on it. Didn't see that this morning while it was still wet in a dark coop.

I just think it may be a pullet Black Star after all.

The three other eggs pipped and peeping madly. One with it's beak out. I'll go back out and check in a few hours before bed.

24846_brs_1st_hatch_001.jpg

24846_brs_1st_hatch_002.jpg

24846_brs_1st_hatch_005.jpg

The WHITE that you show in these pics is not indicative of a Rooster. My hens had the same white as chicks. The white spot on the top of the head IS indicative of a Male chicken. (as I understand it...)

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom