Anybody have pics of young Cuckoo Marans?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lisahaschickens, Mar 1, 2009.

1. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    I am raising my first batch of chicks. I have 15 chicks total, 6 of which are straight-run Cuckoo Marans. The chicks are three weeks old now and I have read many times that you can color-sex Cuckoo Marans, but mine are still really confusing me. The sexes don't really matter to me except that I hope to have at least one hen, and ideally, no more than two roosters so I don't have to give any away (I found someone locally who wants my extra roos for breeding, but I'm becoming attached to my babies!).

Anyway, when I look around online, I only find pictures of newborn chicks and fully-grown adults. Mine are in between and I was wondering if anyone has pictures of in-betweens and if you can point out the sexes, so much the better.

Here are some pictures of mine.

I think this one is a cockerel because he has a lot of white on him (boys are supposed to be lighter/whiter, right?) and he's our biggest chick by far and kind of a pain in the butt:
    [​IMG]

It's pretty much hard to tell with the others:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would love to hear any thoughts on mine, but either way, I would like to see any pics people might have.

2. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    Male (Francois) is in the middle...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Francois on the left...

[​IMG]

Francois...

[​IMG]

the girls...

[​IMG]

edit: I think the peep in your first pic is a li'l roo.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2009
  3. Dread Pirate Roberts

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    Francois at 5 weeks...

[​IMG]

4. lisahaschickens

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    Awesome! Great pics, thanks. So I noticed that Francois has a noticeable comb while the girls do not... would that be any sort of indicator for me? I have noticed combs starting on some of them... are the girls supposed to have no combs at all?

How old are these chickens now? Are they your only ones?

Are you really located in Napa? I was born and raised in Oakland and am getting married in Napa this October.

5. lisahaschickens

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    oh, and yes, I think more and more every day that the chick in the first pic is a roo... but I have others and I'm definitely clueless about them. They definitely look A LOT like your babies... but then again... I can't tell your babies apart until the older pics [​IMG]

I am totally new to chickens and am still learning. Thanks again for the reply and the pics!

6. Dread Pirate Roberts

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    Quote:Hi Lisa,

Yes, you can see that Francois' comb started to protrude above the plane of his fuzzy forehead at a very early age. The girls still have very small combs at 11 weeks. The last photos were just taken about a week ago, maybe a week and a half-ish. These are my only Cuckoo Marans and I have 5 week-old Black Copper Marans peeps in the brooder now, as well as 29 14-week old hatchery pullets and 24 3-week old hatchery pullets.

I'm in St. Helena...20 miles North of Napa.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2009
  7. lisahaschickens

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    I know St. Helena well! I grew up going all over the wine country. It is absolutely beautiful.

I think since you said that about the combs, I'm going to go out and stare at my six and see which have combs. Three of them had noticeable comb growth at about three days old, and I thought it was a sign then, but I was really clueless. Anyway, now I'm not sure how many have noticeable combs, so I'm going to take another look.

Thanks again!!

8. lisahaschickens

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    p.s. your dog is very cute and looks just like my parents' dog... she is a mutt from the pound but she's some sort of mix.. the pound said pit and french bull dog... my parents think American bulldog. What kind is your dog?

9. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    On the cuckoo's the light colored ones are the roo's the darker ones hens.

Steve in NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by