Anybody have the Chick-n-barn?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Ec_Prokta, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Ec_Prokta

Ec_Prokta Continuum Shift Anomaly

Jan 14, 2009
    It's... small. Really small. Can it really fit 6 to 9 standard size hens, like it says on the box? Is it predator proof? What about winter time?

Thanks!

2. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

I've seen the Chick N Barn's again and again at our local Agway, assembled outside. Over time the rain, cold, sun and occasional snow of Central New Jersey have those things looking pretty sorry...

Forget that for a moment. Most manufacturers brag that their coops hold X many birds. Hold is one word, but giving them a healthy amount of space is an entirely different situation. If you have weather that would have them cooped up for days at a time with no respite free ranging or in a large run you end up with pecking problems...

SO, if you have one already plan on keeping maybe 3-4 bantams in it. Build a solid run with 2 by 2's and hardware cloth and let them run wild... Otherwise get a premade dog house and attach a run to that. The CHICK N BARNs are cute but like the Chick N HUTCH we have they are made in China and pretty flimsy - looks like cedar wood but when you go to assemble it you realize how fragile and prone to cracking the wood is...

Best of luck

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  3. Ec_Prokta

Ec_Prokta Continuum Shift Anomaly

Jan 14, 2009
    Thats a waste of $600 bucks. Thanks! Now to find my fantasy lawyer...

4. Hecate

Hecate Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2009
    Ohio
    We got the Chick-N-Barn and bought two of the runs to go with it. We keep 9 chickens (one is a bantam) in it, but added an extra roosting bar inside to maximize the vertical space. Our chickens stay outside most of the day, and we expanded their run room with fencing because the two runs was not enough space.

We did not think the Chick-N-Barn would hold up well to cold weather and snow/rain here in Ohio, but got it because a storm blew down a large limb on our previous chicken accomodations and it was the best quick fix we could get locally. We added a layers of styrofoam insulation and siding to the outside, and roofed it with asphalt shingles. We are also going to outfit the doorways with pet doors for the chickens to let themselves in/out. After getting the darn thing in September, it is already looking worn out and a little rickety.

I would NOT recommend it, and wish there had been some nice playhouses available when we were looking. They would certainly be sturdier and more weather resistant - with a little work they would be perfect for chickens (adding roosts and nest boxes, etc.). The Chick-N-Barn was not worth the money we paid!

5. MamaJohnson

MamaJohnson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Idaho
    We bought the $630 Chick-N-Barn - a "hopeful" (maybe he wouldn't HAVE to build it afterall!) decision on the part of my hubby. [​IMG] (Love that man of mine!) He got it home, then he got a real look at the materials and size, and took it back, muttering something along the lines of "waste of money" all the way there. For the same money he is building a 8X8X9' high coop out of quality materials, with a 5X24' run. I found wonderful windows at yard sales for $30 and a solid oak door for $35... For just less than $700, we're going to have chicken quarters that don't even COMPARE to that ole' Chick-Barn. One advantage of the Barn though - it IS easy, but you give up SO MUCH on quality and functionality!!! I just don't think it's worth it! Do the time and do it right.

6. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

I was at our local Agway a couple hours after my first post and shot these pics with my cellphone. The first is one of the Chick N Hutch's that has been outside since Fall. LOOK at how the roofing material warped !!\\[​IMG]

This next photo is of the extra large dog house they sell... it's a LOT sturdier built. Heck you could get TWO of these and then build a run for both of them (together) and about break even for what a Chick N Barn would cost you... With a little help and a electric jig saw you could cut out service doors on both coops and it would last a LOT longer...

[​IMG]

7. cockadoodle

cockadoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Denver
    Glad I saw this thread...
    I considered buying one of these last month when I foolishly bought 4 chickens (before I had a coop). Those chickbarns look like total crap wagons..glad I bought lumber instead [​IMG]

8. ljump

ljump New Egg

Mar 19, 2009
    I bought the Chick-n-Barn since I am not handy and couldn't find anyone to help build me one out of recycled materials. I think I paid about $400 for it. I have had it about 6 months, and indeed has already cracked on the top layer of wood along the roof. I was thinking of adding shingles to the roof panels to make it look better, and prolong its lifespan. It has withstood some heavy rainfalls and kept my chicks dry! I live in Northern California (Bay Area) so our weather is pretty mild. I elevated the barn about 2 feet off the ground on a wood base with a wire "table top" for the droppings/support. They free range during the day in a large, enclosed former dog run. We call it "La Cage aux Fowls". [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by