Anybody have Wyandotte Bantams

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Feathered Wings, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    I was thinking of ordering some Wyandotte Bantams and was wanting to know if anyone had them.
    I saw them at a chicken auction and really liked them the ones there were red laced i believe [​IMG]

Do you like them?
    What kind of personality?
    Are they good egg layers?
    Do they go Broody?

Anybody have pics i was trying to decide which color to order and pics would help me choose? [​IMG]

2. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
  3. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    I have partridge wyandotte bantams.

Yes, they go broody. Lay well, very calm but not as laid back as cochins are, will free range. Mine love to be hand fed bread by my daughter. They handle cool weather well.

Over-all best bantams I've ever owned. I've had 12 different types of bantams over the years.

4. cajunlizz

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:Did you say Cochins are laid back ? NOT the 15 I had . Nervous little gang . SO nervous they never laid . Beautiful breed , BUT MAN oh MAN .

5. seedcorn

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    had black, white, and partridge cochins all were laid back. Did you have them w/other chickens? They would be skittish w/larger fowl.

6. cajunlizz

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    oh no ... they had their own separate coop and attached run ... I would not dare mix them beauties with full size hens or roosters ...

7. seedcorn

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    my cochins never laid well. But I like to let them go on eggs because I loved the way the hen/rooster would tag team raise the young ones.

Maybe they don't like the heat w/all the feathers? Were your's show stock? Mine weren't. they were good type but not real inbred.

8. Ms. Lewis Rich

Ms. Lewis Rich Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    I have Blue laced Red Wyandottes Bantams they are beautiful and sweet!!!!!!
    I also have Bantam Cochins they are the most lay back sweet chickens I have ever owned even the Roo.

9. cajunlizz

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I had 2 roosters that were . Rest were just very good breed , PERFECT AND HEALTHY . Beautiful

10. seedcorn

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    Ms. Lewis Rich :

I have Blue laced Red Wyandottes Bantams they are beautiful and sweet!!!!!!
    I also have Bantam Cochins they are the most lay back sweet chickens I have ever owned even the Roo.

pictures of BLRW's​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by