Anybody heard of the"Chick" mini dome incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by krv, Jan 5, 2009.

1. krv

krv Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    I was wondering if anybody had experience with the "chick" mini dome incubater? In the Mcmurray hatchery catolog its called "mini dome incubator" but,on ebay its called "chick mini dome incubator. I might get 1 and I was wondering how good is it's hatch rate?[​IMG] And by the way, it only holds 3 standard chicken eggs.

So, again I turned to BYC.[​IMG]

Rick(son of krv)[​IMG]

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Save your money. They are not worth the trouble they cause. I f you can't get a used one with the money you have. Build one they are not that hard to buikld. MiisPrissy has the plans on here for a good one. And it works.

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:I totally agree, the dome is junk.

4. HippiAiti

HippiAiti Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I just used one of those. Two of the three eggs hatched. I had to take the first chick out immediately because it was going to knock it over. During the night, after being up every twenty minutes for several hours with the first chick, the second hatched. It knocked the incubator over and started squawking wildly. My cat tried to bring the chick to me and dropped it when he realized it was bleeding. I woke to a dead bloody chick on my carpet. I left the third egg in there for a few more days. One of my cats repeatedly knocked it over, now knowing what might come out of the egg inside. All this with the incubator sitting inside a cardboard box that I was using for extra insulation. Seriously, you'd be better off building one ourself out of something sturdy, like a breadbox.

5. Suellyn

Suellyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    SouthWestern PA
    Okay, how do I post a link to another thread?? [​IMG] !!!! I just tried, like 50 times, and can't figure it out [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I am computer impaired in a BIG way!!!!!

Anyway, if you are talking about that little plastic yellow thing with a clear "domed" lid that sells for about $20, I inquired about it a couple months ago, there is a whole THREAD of responses. Maybe do an "author search" on me, I called it "$20 incubator, waste of $$, or works?" or something like that.

Long story short, I got an LG still air for about $40 instead, and am glad that I did.

Good luck!!

6. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    This is so good to know. My friend, who's new to all thing s chicken, was just getting all excited about this. Hate to be the one to bring her down, but I know who has a perfectly good, if less cute, incubator to borrow . . . . thanks, all!

7. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:ek i highly doubt your pookie (kitty lol) was bringing it to you (maybe to show you his kill but not to save the chick lol)....my kitties LOVE to try and raid my brooders...my male has sucessfully twice but only killed one the second one i caught him in the act.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by