Anybody here able to sex swedish ducklings by pictures?

The only reason I am wanting to know now. Is I lost one of the black swedes and I ordered 1 male and 4 females and I am just hoping I didn't lose my male and if I did I was gonna order another male.

o kay, pick them up in your hand, flip them over, head toward you tail away, Gently fold the tail downward.
Now with your thumbs and index fingers, gently move the fuzz away from the vent, one you've found it, keep the tail downward, and open the vent with your thumbs. Just easily spread it open. Look VERY close. will just be skin is it's a hen, if your boy is still there, you'll see a tiny little pee pee pop out of it, just a very small worm looking think at this point.
That's the only way you'll know at this point, there are no reliable markers on them at this age. This is painless to the bird and does not harm them at all. You may have to try it a few times, but it works, that's how the hatchery sexed them when they sent them to you.
Good luck

The only way to tell is by checking there vent. If you don't want to do that then you are going to have to wait until they are at least 8 weeks old and see if your females start to get there quack so you can tell them apart by that. Males don't quack they only make a hissing noise.

Check out this link it give you some good info on vent sexing and listening to ducks voices to tell them apart.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=181147

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom