1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anybody here ever take Symlin?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chickerdoodle13, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Just wondering if anyone else has taken this. I'm a type 1 diabetic and I'll be starting Symlin injections on Friday. I'm hoping it helps with my somewhat erratic bloodsugars and also with weight loss. I've always had a hard time losing weight and the doctor is pretty optimistic about this being my answer!

I am a little nervous about some of the side effects. I really want to be able to stay on the Symlin, but there is a chance I will experience nausea. I really hope I'm not one of the small percentage that has that side effect! I'd be interested to see if anyone else has taken this. From what I've been told, it seems like some kind of miracle drug. This has me somewhat nervous because most things in my life are too good to be true!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Never heard of it, tell us more!

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:[​IMG] How you doing Chicker?
    I really hope you lucky and don't have any side-effects, make sure you know when to go back to the doctor if anything strange happens. Do you have to inject every day? Are you doing it yourself?
    Good Luck - and good to see you around.

4. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    My brother is a type 1 diabetic and injects himself and takes his blood sugars daily...do you have to do that?...I will ask him what insulin he takes and let you know....... but [​IMG] to you its not easy being diabetic.......xxx

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I thought I was up on drugs... off to my PDR.

6. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks everyone! I have yet to meet anyone else on Symlin. Guess I'll just have to try it and find out! Supposedly it has worked wonders for others out of my doctor's office. There is quite a bit of weight I'd like to lose, but being a diabetic makes it extremely difficult. Symlin basically replaces a hormone that helps control hunger. Typically this hormone is absent from diabetics.

Wildsky,

It's good to see you too! I haven't been on as much lately because I have been busy with work. just seems there are not enough hours in the day! Right now I do catheter changes myself with the minimed insulin pump I am on (Have to do this every three days or so) and I will have to inject the symlin three times daily. It's actually very easy, so I do it all myself. I use to inject my insulin also and it was a pain in the neck because sometimes I'd be taking 5 or 6 shots a day! The pump completely eliminates that. I'm not so concerned about having to inject symlin though because it sounds like the benefits are too good to worry over little injections!

Englishchick,

Has your brother ever thought about going on the pump? I started my insulin pump in June after doing the injections for 15 years. It was the best thing I've decided to do! Life is sooo much easier with an insulin pump. They are expensive, but most insurance companies will cover the cost. It isn't easy living with diabetes, but it's not the worst thing you could have either. I'm just happy to see all these new advances in medicine, especially for diabetics!

Mahonri,

Symlin is fairly new, but I believe the same company also has a product called Byetta which has been on the market for much longer. Symlin is a newer form of Byetta, and supposedly the side effects are less.

Drug companies are in the process of trying to market Symlin as a weight loss drug for non-diabetics, but I don't see this happening any time soon. It's very expensive (About $250 for a month's supply, I think) and I believe non-diabetics already make the hormone Amilyn (sp?) so adding more of that hormone would not have as big of an effect. Plus the injections themselves turn most people off. For many, three daily injections are just not worth the weight loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by