Anybody here have Macaw Parrots?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by GoldDogsMom, Nov 3, 2011.

1. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    I know this is a chicken forum but I see people asking questions about all sorts of animals so...

a friend of mine had 1 macaw and a few years ago "rescued" another who was in a stressful situation and had pulled all his feathers out except wings and head...looks like a plucked chicken! If they put a "collar" on him his feathers grow back but in what I assume is a learned obsessive behavior, once it is removed he pulls his feathers out again!

They have researched and not found any relief for their bird so I though I'd ask here...

Thanks in Advance for any suggestions!

2. pinkfoxfarm

pinkfoxfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    In LaLaLand
    i have a sever macaw,
    macaws are lovely birds but certinaly not the easiest of companions (they are not and never will be pets...lol)

plucking typically starts as either a health or boredome issue...
    it can aboslulty become a compulsive issue though if done for long enough...

the absolute first thing id be doing is off to an Avian vet for a full work up...plucking is often the sign of underlying health issues, so 100% rule out any health issues first.

if nothign shows up on blood work id say behavioural and chances of fixing this are good!

http://www.petparrot.com/ParrotCarePlucking.htm

3. GoldDogsMom

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Thanks so much for responding! I had read the site you attached earlier today and am forwarding it to my friends. I know that their bird has been examined at the vet and no physical cause was found, I saw the bird again yesterday and it just broke my heart to see the poor thing. I know they have improved his life immensely by taking him in and thought I'd take a stab at finding some possible solutions. From my limited experience and what I have read so far, I am thinking they need to put his collar back on and then spray the new feathers before taking it off to deter the habit...

Again Thanks for your Response!

4. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    Parrots are highly intelligent birds. They need a lot of time outside of their cage, either being played with, or on a stand (I forgot what it's called [​IMG]). The best way to do this is to let him/her be out of the cage whenever you're home, and play with them for at least an hour. Macaws and Cockatoos are one of the most likely birds to pluck. And once they get going, it's hard to stop them.

5. GoldDogsMom

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    They spend quite a lot of time out of their cages, there is a tree in my friends yard that they love hanging out in!

6. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    Quote:Wings clipped, right? [​IMG]

7. GoldDogsMom

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    oh yeah! The bird I am talking about seems fine other than it's bald body, I know they spend time a significant time with their birds...

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    How's his diet? I have an African grey that's sensitive to food dyes. He was really agitated when he was eating a pellet that had food dyes in it. After I removed all foods that contained dyes, he calmed right down. Some parrots also have food allergies and I've heard macaws mentioned. Some of the macaw species need a little more fat in their diet than some other parrot species. It's hard to beat a good mash diet.

I give my grey a lot of things to keep him busy. He's especially fond of some of the softer things to chew and shred, in addition to woods. Does he play with and chew a lot of toys? Do they offer foraging for him? Hiding foods for him to find inside things or that he has to chew through, to get it out? That's a great activity.

9. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    X2. They are very intelligent birds, and need to be mentally occupied all day long.

10. pinkfoxfarm

pinkfoxfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    In LaLaLand
    i also did want to add...if this has been going on a very long time...he may have damaged the folicles and his fathers may never grow in properly.

your frineds might want to try an aloe vera spray too, as the feathers grow in its itchy and can be painfull, so they bite and scratch and end up ripping them out as there growing in, a good aloe vera gell mixed with water (about 1 tablespoon PURE aloe (not the after sun ect, youll find it in the food section or at health food stores) wil help keep the skin soft and subtle to ease with the pain and also takes alot of the itch out, and up the protein in the diet too...parrots often dont get enough protein in thier diet, but protein plays a huge part in feather development.
    and make sure hes getting lots of HEALTHY fats from nuts like almonds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by