Anybody here subscribe to Countryside magazine?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cookinmom, Mar 24, 2007.

1. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    I got an offer for a free issue shortly after we moved out here. I really like it. It's actually called Countryside and Small Stock Journal, or something like that. My very first issue had an article entitled, Let This Be The Year You Raise Chickens, or something like that! It must have been a sign...[​IMG]

Well, I'm off to plant cucumbers, while the dog is taking a nap![​IMG]

Hope everyone is having a lovely weekend.

2. bmarshall61

bmarshall61 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    Never hear of that one, you got a telephone number or address?

My cucumbers are already climbing, early spring here in south east Texas. The squash are running and a couple of hertiage tomatoes are blooming.

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. thechickenfarmer

thechickenfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    My mother in law gets that magazine and gives it to me sometimes. I see articles on raising chickens EVERYWHERE these days! I guess it's the new thing hahaha. Here in Connecticut I'm just getting around to thinking about buying cucumber seeds. We still have snow [​IMG] So....I'm jealous. Jen

4. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

I subscribe to it but haven't received my first issue yet. I've picked it up on the newsstand, it's interesting. I also subscribe to Hobby Farm, but I'm going to let that one drop, too much like yuppified farming for people with money. Countryside is much more down to earth.

5. cookinmom

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    bmarshall61, the subscription address is
    Countryside Subscriptions
    P O Box 3190
    Van Nuys CA 91407

It's a really interesting magazine, with articles on homesteading, alternative energy, gardening, lots of different small stock, and some recipes. I really enjoyed my first issue.

6. gvillebass

gvillebass Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2007
    I subscribe to it. I found it to be money well spent. The last issue had a story about beekeeping. I would like to have my own supply of honey, but I don't like being stung.

7. George in NH

George in NH Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2007
    Quote:LOL, I know what you mean. I was thinking about setting up a couple of hives but then realized that I am afraid of bees. For the life of me I can't figure out how someone can let themselves get stung. If I ever did get a hive or two then my brother would never visit. He freaks out around bees. He looks like a mad-man running, throwing his arms and screaming. I swear if a tractor trailer was coming down the road he'd rather run in front of the truck and be splattered before he'd ever let a bee within 20 feet of him.

Now for countryside magazine. There are some articles that I find very boring while others seem to be full of useful information. I guess that each issue has to cater to the interest of all readers and not all readers are interested in all articles. The articles on building homes are very boring to me but that is because I have a home and lack the skills to attempt to build my own home. Usually love the gardening and livestock stories. I say the magazine is worth subscribing to or buying off the magazine rack.

8. cookinmom

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    If I ever did get a hive or two then my brother would never visit. He freaks out around bees. He looks like a mad-man running, throwing his arms and screaming. I swear if a tractor trailer was coming down the road he'd rather run in front of the truck and be splattered before he'd ever let a bee within 20 feet of him.

[​IMG]

I've long wanted to keep bees, and am not scared of them, but, alas, my mom says when I was little they told her I was allergic! I have been stung, and didn't die (obviously), but did have lots of swelling, etc. Slap a little paste of water and meat tenderizer on it, and it turns out fine.

But as far as keeping hundreds at a time, I guess it's best not to tempt the Lord.​

9. bmarshall61

bmarshall61 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    thanks, cookinmom

10. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Not to hijack the thread, but I had to speak up for one of my favorite hobbies, beekeeping. We started last year and in our first year we got 55 lbs of the most tasty, gorgeous honey you have ever tasted in your life! Not one sting. Honeybees really aren't aggressive (of course we aren't talking about Africanized bees right now, that's a whole 'nother story). Using a smoker and a full beesuit, you're pretty well protected. As for people being scared of bees, usually they've had an encounter with wasps, hornets, yellowjackets, etc. and they blame the 'bees'. I've gardened in my yard now for 30 years and not once have I ever been stung, and I'll be weeding the oregano when it's in full bloom with all manner of bees and wasps around and have never had a problem.

If you are interested at all in exploring the possibilities, there are a couple of forums worth checking out. Beemaster is a great friendly forum for all things beekeeping, it has many members from around the US and also many international members. Beesource is a great resource, most of the serious beekeepers hang out there, many of the authors of articles in either Bee Culture or American Bee Journal post there regularly. I really can't say enough about this satisfying hobby - and bees and chickens are supposed to get along just fine, too! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by